1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boy Who Wouldn't Die... Amazing piece in SI about Rae Carruth's son

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Don't think anyone else posted this yet: "Outside the Lines" did its version of the Carruth story a couple years ago. The part where the actual shooter calls out Carruth as a "bitch" three times on the witness stand is pretty good theater. And the boy's grandmother shines in the absence of her murdered daughter.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I finally had a chance to sit down and finish this story today.

What an amazing piece of journalism. It did make BASW, right? If it didn't, they may as well not print the book this year.

It captured the audacity of Carruth and his buddies, as well as the type of person the grandmother is.

Just breathtakingly good.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They haven't finalized the picks yet. I thought Thomas Lake's piece on Wes Leonard was his best of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one or his Pop Herring feature, which led to that flame war of a thread about his open letter to Michael Jordan, were to land in the anthology. They were splashier topics, though I thought he was a little too unrestrained in the lede of the Carruth story and too one-sided throughout the Herring feature.

4. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Whether minimalist or more stylistically expansive, from where I sit whether it works or not is generally a matter of SOUND. You can certainly disagree, but either way I want words that I want to read and hear more than once. And when I want to read it over and over again ... the full brother of Assault meets a pure and moving glimpse of hard reality.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You lost the privilege of quoting "Death of a Racehorse" when you snubbed it in the best of the century volume. :D

6. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

The explanation is here, V: http://sonofboldventure.blogspot.com/2011/04/five-for-writing-glenn-stout.html#more

After 23 years of this, all I know for sure is that you can't please everybody.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This was a damn good thread.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

“I should be raising my son. His mother should be raising her son. Ms. Adams should not be doing this and I want that responsibility back,” he said. “I feel like he might not ever have his mother in his life but he could still have me and I could still make a difference and I don’t think that’s anyone’s responsibility when I’m still here”.

How about no?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lake was the It writer back in 2012. With this, the 2 on 5, and the Jordan articles, everyone was talking about him.

I had to look just now to see where he was even writing. CNN, apparently.

Has he still been cranking out good work that I've missed?

Draft saved Draft deleted