1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boy Who Wouldn't Die... Amazing piece in SI about Rae Carruth's son

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think it's available online yet. I'm guessing it will be by tomorrow, but I just got this week's issue and it's a pretty crazy story.

The kid has CP and it sounds like Carruth is likely to be paroled in 2018.

Crazy sad story...

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

3. Mizzougrad96

Thanks for finding that...

It reads like a Gary Smith story and I don't know if there is a bigger compliment I can give to a writer.

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I'm really excited to read it. Gary Smith has long been one of my favorite writers--the first long-former whose byline I recognized and looked for each week in my nascent narrative journalism reading days.

Hence, I love Thomas Lake's work and style, even when I ignore my bias as a former colleague of his.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Did he ever get registered here?

6. sm72

sm72 Member

You're right, no bigger compliment than that. Amazing read. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back to SI time and time again. I really wish they stuck to this kind of content a bit more.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Registration is open now. He should try again.

And Sports Illustrated has delayed putting most of its magazine stories online for a few weeks now, a good move on their part to protect the integrity of the print product. Only certain stories, mostly tied to major events, go up within the week that a magazine is on the shelves.

8. sm72

sm72 Member

We did this at the mag I used to work for. It was a much smaller operation, but the change immediately boosted print subscriptions by about 30 percent. I can imagine the effect would be less significant for SI, but getting even a slight percentage increase in subscriptions across a nationwide audience would be huge for print revenue.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rae Carruth will be out of prison before Lake is cleared for SJ.

10. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

Yes, I'm a stickler for details. All kinds of details. Maybe that's why the writers whom I edited didn't like me much. But ...

From the story:

In less than four minutes, the narrator,Paul Harvey, would spin out wild and true tales that always featured an astonishing revelation at the end, followed by the same eight words: "And now you know the rest of the story."

The same EIGHT words? Try nine.

11. sm72

sm72 Member

I would love you as an editor, FYI. Something like that making it in...yikes.

12. Mizzougrad96

We had something similar on an editing test I took at one place I worked. It was one of the ones I missed. :D

If you catch something like that, chances are you're a pretty damn good copy editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted