1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bowl Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Saturday wild card games are ESPN and NBC Divisional round Saturdays are CBS and Fox. All four are going to prioritize the NFL over college football. What's left for the playoffs, the CW?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Can we at least agree that a Monday game that starts at 8 p.m. on the east coast and doesn't end until after midnight isn't helping grow this sport?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, I totally agree. The simplest solution would be to push back the playoffs (why a month off?) so that they ended on New Year's Day or the day after. The current setup is actually WORSE than the old bowl system prior to the BCS. You can have a playoff, or you can prioritize bowl games, but not both, at least not successfully.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

On a side note, I'm disappointed that the Hawaii Bowl isn't on Christmas Eve this year. I always liked coming home from an early deadline night to be one of probably 10 people in my state to be watching the game.

Batman likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. But the noon games that end darned near 4 p.m. don't help either. And no one in the sport really seems to care.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Re the 1987 Fiesta Bowl: That was a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence where you had independents as the top 2 and a bowl with no conference tie-ins eager to make a splash. If we had the bowl system now we had in 1987, another 1 vs. 2 of this type would be very unlikely because the only major independent teams left are Notre Dame, BYU and Army.

7. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Arlington is a little over 1,000 miles from Gainesville & a little under 1,200 from Ann Arbor. For that matter, it's cheaper and quicker to fly there (Dallas) from Detroit than it is from Gainesville.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That 14.5 Bama-OK spread looks tempting - until you realize outside of last week they hadn't won by fewer than 24 points all year.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

White is playing.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Six NIT bowls. Not In Tournament.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That bowl got me through countless family Christmas Eve parties where I had no interest in what anyone was talking about.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And it isn't like anyone on the west coast is going to watch anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted