1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boston Globe and firefighter autopsies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Oct 4, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

People have contested Menino, who views the mayor's office as his personal fiefdom.

His opponent two elections ago was a hack's hack who thought moving across the city would get her more votes. His opponent last time around was an effective career city councilor, but she felt short, too.

Mumbles, who for some reason is loved by the media despite having little man's syndrome and being as arrogant as they come, says he's not running in '09. I'll believe it when I see it.

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

incumbent mayors in large cities are virtually unbeatable.
    for obvious reasons - they suck up to public unions, demand tribute from downtown business interests, control regulatory agencies, etc.

you're smug.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

But they'd be less likely to show up drunk or high if random testing was involved.
    Think of the pension, salary, benefits etc that they'd throw away if they lose their jobs for that.
    Obviously, and I repeat, we can't say for sure about this specific case, who knows if that report is true or not.
    Also, another point brought up on WBZ Thursday night. It could be that the one who had the BAC of .27 might have had that level because the AC fell on him, leaking freon and other chemicals.

4. boots

boots New Member

I'm not buying it unless he consumed the freon and other chemicals. And that's kind of hard to do unless you're saying he drowned.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, they said it can be absorbed into the skin.
    I can't say he drowned, all they said was it fell on top of him. Not sure if that means it crushed him, etc.
    Sorry I can't be more specific, that's all I heard.

6. boots

boots New Member

I don't know the size of the unit, but again, you're talking about the guy basically taking a bath in the stuff to reach that high of a BAC.
    I believe the guy was liquored up.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I did forget this, it was a roof unit.
    Hey, believe me, I'm not saying that it's not possible the guy was drunk, but with very unconfirmed sourcing, the Globe guys better be praying it's not wrong.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I read somewhere about a case where it was argued that the BAC was impacted by chemicals, etc.

I'm not saying that's what happened here. And I doubt freon could somehow cause a toxicology test to come up with blow in the system.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Boots, also, and I am not trying to start shit, but I am curious.
    You always tell everyone wait until the facts are in, but on this one you seem to be steadfast that he was drunk. How come?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Herald is saying that three city officials confirmed the preliminary autopsy results.

11. boots

boots New Member

Mark, an autopsy is pretty thorough examination. They look at blood, organs, etc. So when they say this person was liquored up or stoned, they are fairly certain. It's not CSI, it's real life. These guys were fucked up and shouldn't have been working that night.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I still can't fathom how someone with a .27 could stand let alone carry equipment, etc and run into a burning building.

Draft saved Draft deleted