1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boston Globe and firefighter autopsies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Oct 4, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

people should be on their knees thanking the media for putting this story out. this story, while tragic, is not complicated. their death is horrible but FIREFIGHTERS SHOULD NOT BE DRUNK OR STONED WHILE ON THE JOB and if someone reveals that this is happening, we should all cheer.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It was .27, three times the legal limit. A .027 is like 1/3 of a beer.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think he was referring to the woman who posted about her sainted (and currently alive) firefighter son.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Got ya.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Absolutely no question this should run.

Mark, I also was listening to WBZ last night, and Dan Rea (their new nighttime host) was doing a pretty good job with this.

I did not hear about the flimsy sourcing, but if they went with one source, he better be good.

Gut says the source was the fire commissioner or Mumbles Menino, but what do I know.

And Fenian's right, someone (probably the mayor or commissioner) really wanted this released pronto.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This has to run. First off, a guy went in drunk to a fire. WTF is that!

We'll never know, but if he was in sound frame of mind does he even go in there? A little more dubious on the cocaine. How do we know that he didn't have it last week? Can't prove he was high that night.

But .27! He should never have gotten in the truck. Where was he drinking? Are my firefighters drinking on the job? Sad news, but this is a very important story. You are an emergency responder and an important public employee. Don't shirk your duties and obligations.

As for another thing. This is a clear prior restraint case. Even if the documents were stolen out of the judges underwear drawer, I don't see how they can prevent the station going with a report. There is no national security issue and you can't invade the privacy of the dead. Why wouldn't the TV station run the story anyway? Judges can't prevent you from running with a report even if the info was obtained through less that reputable means. That is ridiculous.

You want to sue the station for running the report? Fine. But you can't prevent them from airing it.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you test positive for coke you used within 24 hours. It's water soluble and gone the next time you piss.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

24 hours?

Should not have been in fire truck. Their coworkers failed them. Someone knows he is intoxicated, how do they let him put himself in danger. I got a lot of questions for the fire fighters.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

You don't know any of the other firefighters knew the guy was doing coke. Easy to tell if a guy's wasted, not so easy to tell if someone is doing blow.

The coworkers didn't fail these two; these two failed their coworkers -- and put their lives at risk, too.

10. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Pallister,
    I agree to a point - certainly these two are responsible, not their coworkers.

But shouldn't any supervisor worth his salt, in any profession, have a decent handle on his team before he lets them loose, especially into a situation where lives are at risk?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I would say even the best supervisors don't know half the shit their employees are doing on any given day.

And as familiar as I am with firehouses and supervising employees, I'm not gonna pretend I know what it's like to be a supervisor in a firehouse.

12. boots

boots New Member

Coke can be detected from 3 to 5 days.
    Bottom line is one guy was drunk, the other was riped, both should have taken the day off.

Draft saved Draft deleted