1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The book you've all been waiting for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 8, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just got this book in at my library today. Someone has actually placed a request in for it!

2. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Ok, I'll bite. How did it look?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Christopher:

Hey, its spring football. Quit wasting time on here and break down the backup long snappers will ya? Chop chop! ;)

I have a (non-newspaper) interview in T-town on Friday. Might have to swing by Books A Million on my way out of town.

4. Freshman Brian Selman will look great at backup long-snapper once he puts on a little more weight ...

Just a quick update (and this will give a tiny look into the process), the book arrived at the publisher's warehouse on Feb. 24, and has already been shipped to fill the backorders. It's beginning to trickle out, but I've been told that it probably won't start hitting bookstores until next week. Considering the release date is April 15, it may be a little hit-or-miss for now.

Also, I've been told that it should be found with other sports books and/or new releases, but if not check the writing section.

On the collegiate PR front, the student newspapers at Brooklyn College and Drake have both done articles on the book (a big shout out to them), and I've been asked to lead a workshop on sports writing at Yale. We're trying to work out a date for next month.

Thanks again everyone.

5. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Just got my copy. I like how they have some press passes on the back cover.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Those are Walsh's press passes -- well, only a fraction of them. Like many of us, he keeps 'em ALL. Me? I only keep the really cool ones (Masters, U.S. Open, bowl games, NASCAR ...) :)

rb

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you mean like on the plaschke book?

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Or like all the designs of Hoops' books. You do have books out, right?

rb

9. jeremy.meyer

jeremy.meyer Guest

I finally got the book from the local B and N.

I was thinking of buying it, when I sat down read the first chapter and after reading it, I knew this was the book that I had been looking for.

I think it has exactly, what a new sports writer, or someone that wants to get into this business needs. I will make sure to give it to my Sports Editor and to the few teachers, I know.

Great work CW, Keep it up.

10. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Is it bad that every time I see a question about the business from a someone in college I just want to say go get this book?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you refer them to this book over say, "Pond Scum and Vultures" you're doing all of them a HUGE disservice.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

nope

how about you?

and pond scum and vultures is waaaay overrated

thought it was a big yawn, myself

Draft saved Draft deleted