1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The book you've all been waiting for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 8, 2006.

1. WS

WS Member

Walsh is good people. Know him, shared a SEC and high school championship press box with him. Just because Mizzou doesn't think he's as good as some 19-year-old coming out of a Big East or Big 12 school doesn't think it's gonna be good. I plan on reading it as soon as I can get a copy.

2. sportsed

sportsed Guest

That's the greatest picture in the history of pictures. Still laughing.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'd say people in the business probably identify with him more than someone like Wojo. Someone who has worked their way up to a pretty damn good beat and people still haven't heard much about him.

There are more Christopher Walsh's out there then Wojo's.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

sadly, the cover shot just reinforces everyone's impression of what we do. about 15 years ago, on mnf, the cameras took a shot of george young during a giants game. sitting next to him was a fairly large reporter at work, precisely at the moment the scribe was stuffing a hot dog in his mouth. AARGH!!! :(i

5. SellOut

SellOut Member

The cover isn't what's reinforcing everyone's impression of us...We're doing a good job of that ourselves:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/22684/
      ;)

6. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Could that be the late, great Leonard Koppett?

[​IMG]

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Judging from past experiences, I don't think this book will crack Cecil's rotation.

8. I don't want to judge a book by its cover . . . but I don't know if I'd want to read this book because of its cover. That's just an stupid and unfair shot. I'd be pissed if I were the author. That was probably the first thing the guy ate all day. We've all been there. Why couldn't they take a shot of what a press box looks like now? Because it wouldn't sell books, that's why.

I don't know the author. Never heard of him. Doesn't really matter. But I don't think it was very smart for the publishers to put a 30-year-old photo on the cover. I have a bad feeling -- and I don't want to have this feeling -- that the book is going to be 300 pages of disproving the stereotype that sportswriters are either exactly like Oscar Madison or Ray Romano.

I'd like to read the book before I pass judgment. Let me say, though, that a sportswriter might not be the best person to write a book about sportswriters. I can't honestly think of a sportswriter who I'd like to write a book about sportswriting. I'd love Roy Blount Jr. to write a book about me, but I think he has better things to do with his time.

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

I think the cover's pretty funny. it would at least make me stop and pick it up.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

You can't judge a book by it's cover, but you can promote a book with a good cover. And graphics would have been a better cover than this picture.

The picture might be funny to people in the business, but it won't sell many books. If Walsh is a good guy - and he certainly seems to have had people here say good things about him - the people publishing the book seem to have done him a disservice. Even if Walsh liked the picture, the publishers have to say... No, Walsh, this won't sell your book and we're not going to let you do it. That's what friends are for...

11. Mira

Mira Member

Judging from the cover, it's a book every aspiring female sports writer will certainly avoid.

But I have to admit, if you've ever been to a NASCAR event, the image of some dude eating tons of food is dead on.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Here we go again (seems like on every topic) more board cynicism.
    Dang it, read the friggin' book then pass judgement on it.
    Pull up some of Walsh's stuff. It's solid, I promise.
    He's got a better gig than some of you. And he's worse off than others.
    Nature of the biz.
    This image on the front cover, despite what some of you might argue, is exactly what you see in press boxes.
    Folks are just dressing nicer and the images are nowadays in color.
    Read the book, or refrain from passing judgement.
    Smart alecky assholes ............

Draft saved Draft deleted