1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The book you've all been waiting for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 8, 2006.

1. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Here's the bio from the publisher's site:

http://www.rlpgtrade.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=1589793021

There's also another book coming out (I assume for football season), "Where Football is King: A History of the SEC"

Author bio
    Christopher Walsh has been an award-winning sports writer for 14 years and currently covers Alabama football for the Tuscaloosa News. In 2005 alone, Walsh has won several awards including the First Amendment Award, New York Times Chairman's Award, as well as receiving a Pulitzer Prize nomination. Walsh also received first place honors for a sports feature from the Alabama Press Association, and awards in both sports deadline reporting and sports non-deadline reporting categories from the Alabama Associated Press Managing Editors.

Walsh's previous beats include the Green Bay Packers, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has covered two Super Bowls, numerous bowl games, playoffs in all major sports, and NASCAR. His articles have appeared in such publications as The New York Times, USA Today, Philadelphia Inquirer, and Newark Star-Ledger. He lives in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Will Cecil ever be caught reading this book in a press box? (for the SEC guys)

3. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

No offense Mizzou, the guy's bio is pretty solid, even if he's not a "name."

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is that Norm McLean?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Godawful jacket, absolutely pedestrian sub-title.

What it's really like to be a sportswriter: "Balding, fat, out of shape and caught in a time warp".

Yeah, seeing some guy stuff his cakehole on the front cover of a book. Sure makes me want to pick it up.  

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Photo on the cover aside, I think this book will be a quality look at our business for people who are thinking about getting in it. I could see it being taught out of at Us around the country, in fact.

As an aside, Walsh is quality people. I have sat with him in press boxes around the SEC, and have read a bunch of his stuff at various outposts.

rb

7. flaxman

flaxman New Member

I think the market for this book is people who have "thought" about getting into the biz, and that applies to just about every red-blooded American male. What guy hasn't thought it would be cool to "just watch sports for a living?"

As for Walsh being a nobody, I think anyone who has spent any time in bars from Key West to Green Bay would disagree. If you haven't done the Century Club with Chris Walsh at least once in your life, then you are missing out.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is that a ditto machine in the background?

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Nah..... good book, but it's probably not "weighty" enough for his tastes ;D

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

nothing better than seeing what cecil is reading

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

completely unbiased opinion, i'm sure... ;)

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Well, I have never read it <channeling White Goodman> in a book </channeling White Goodman>, so yeah, I guess it is my opinion. Didn't ask you to share the endorsement.

Hoops McCann, however, whom I have also shared press boxes with in the SEC ... not as good a people as Walsh. But the stick is pretty high there, bro. Pretty high.  ;)

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted