1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The book you've all been waiting for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 8, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

For anyone who has wondered what it is like to be a sports writer, Christopher Walsh brings you No Time Outs. Detailing his beginnings as a small-time clerk in Florida, to a one-man bureau in Phoenix, to the Green Bay Packers beat at one of the largest newspapers in Wisconsin, Walsh presents his proudest moments as well as his shortcomings. This is the handbook for any aspiring sports journalist -- an inside look at what the job and industry are like, some of the do's and don'ts, and many entertaining sports anecdotes.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

tsp, you getting a cut of the royalties?

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

This is jacket copy, right?

And why am I pictured on the cover?

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

And here I thought this was going to be a thread on Oliver Tse's latest small-time poker expose.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Nothing like a contemporary cover image to put the reader in the right frame of mind.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

beat me to it, puck

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Yes...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1589793021/sr=1-7/qid=1139432099/ref=sr_1_7/104-2640421-8805546?%5Fencoding=UTF8

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i love the picture but i dont' think it'll cause too many people under age 30 to pick it up at barnes & noble.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think I'll get it ....and I am under 25 - but being in the biz, I think you're right leo. I don't see many of my buddies wanted to read this.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yeah i should've said no one under age 30 not in the business, formerly in the business or hoping to be in the business. that's a pretty narrow audience. although maybe it'll be a big hit in wisconsin or wherever the guy worked for most of his career.

11. Oscar_Madisoy

Oscar_Madisoy Member

That photo is priceless. Don't care if it's from a different era. I think it stands the test of time, like the Honeymooners. I'm buying it just because of the photo, actually.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be a little more interested if I'd ever heard of the guy who wrote it...

This isn't exactly Wojo writing Pond Scum and Vultures...

Draft saved Draft deleted