1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bonds Ball results are in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 26, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Does the Hall talk about Ty Cobb being a racist or claim of killing someone? No. It only portrays him in a positive light and that's what will be done for Barry Bonds.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If someone vandalized a statue or burned down a church, I would HOPE they'd restore it to its original state. I'd certainly hope they wouldn't just stand back and say "hey, its destruction is a snapshot of history."

There's a big difference between not allowing a vandalized artifact into the Hall and whitewashing anything negative about the honoree. Though, and I'll admit ignorance on this point since I've never been to the HOF, do the Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb displays mention their checkered past? If they don't, but they do something for Bonds like that, they're being inconsistent.

If the guy who caught Aaron's ball scrawled "FUCK NIGGERS" on it, would you want the HOF to put it on display? Can you not do an exhibit touching on those issues without a vandalized artifact? I have no problem with mentioning the issues surrounding the men of the game, but there's a fine line that drawing an asterisk on a ball crosses, and if it means not memorializing some design douchebag's commentary, I can live with that.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

All of those things are up to the editorial discretion of those putting together an exhibit.

As I said earlier, my only argument here is that it isn't "fucking with history."

If that's the part of history you choose to exhibit, then that's that. And the asterisk isn't vandalism, either. The guy owns the ball. He can stamp anything he wants on it. Then it's up to the HOF if they want to accept his donation and/or display it. They say they do.

So that's what will happen. As someone else said, maybe they'll have the asterisk facing the wall. Who knows.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and we're still cooler than him, my friend. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted