1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The blues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Jul 24, 2006.

1. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Count me among the others here who love the blues.

Had one of my dreams come true when I got to see Clapton and B.B. King jam together.

Oh, I saw the mention of Lightnin' Hopkins - And spot you Hounddog Taylor.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

One of my favorite blues albums is the trio of Robert Cray, Johnny Copeland and Albert Collins. It's called "Showdown" from, I believe, 1985.

I've seen Cray a few times and he's been good to great. Would have liked to have seen him when he opened shows for Clapton and then came back on stage to play with Clapton. I know Cray's done some work on past Clapton albums.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think Robert Cray is great. First saw him in 1986 - Hot Smokin Gun had just come out. Always reminded of '86 final four in NOLA won by Indiana - Every blues cover band in that town was playing Robert Cray.

I love that Eric Clapton pays homage to the blues but his blues cd's are a disapointment. He just does not have the pipes for the blues.

For a great compilation album try John Lee Hooker - best of friends- Includes Rait, Cray , Ry Coder, and Santanna. One of songs on CD was Chill out with Santana - got a lot of play in '94

4. Claws for Concern

Another great blues show that I saw at least 10 years ago was BB King with James Cotton as the opener. Cotton was great with Muddy Waters' group, but he's great on his own too.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great, great, great fucking album. Brother Robert more than held his own with two bad-ass vets in Collins and Copeland. Whoever put that together deserves a fucking medal.

6. For me, RJ doesn't get darker or bloodier than:
    "If I had possession over judgment day/Woman I love, wouldn't have no right to pray."

Stones In My Passway is pretty damn cold, too.

7. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Yeah, there's definitely that point, if you're going thru the complete recordings, where things take a decidedly goosebump-inducing turn to the dark side.

This thread is great. I've got shitloads of blues albums I've been neglecting lately, and this has been getting me in the mood to hear them all.

8. Roy Buchanan has been gone close to twenty years now. Liked his stuff.

Saw Muddy open for Clapton twice. Shows were the same month but 1600 miles apart. Always been mad at myself that I can't remember a damn thing about either show.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My wife's boss is a big blues fan and plays in a blues band on the side. We've chatted a few times and he's got me back into the blues. (The DVDs he's loaned me of classic Johnny Winter appearances at European blues festivals and on old 70s shows like the Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert don't hurt either.)

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Outting alert - Huggy's wife works for Jim Dolan

11. Claws for Concern

Anyone ever seen Joe Bonamassa in concert? Young guitarist from NYC. he's going to be playing a show with a great blues harp player, Charlie Musselwhite, this weekend in central California. Thinking of going, but want to know if others have any opinions on Bonamassa.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Never seen him live, but his new album is quite good in a heavy blues, SRV sort of way.

Draft saved Draft deleted