1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The blues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Blues music kicks serious ass.

Chicago Blues is what I dig the most. Check out Buddy Guy's Legends. Guy plays a lot of gigs at his place every January.

I've seen Otis Rush play at Legends too. Great show.

Seen B.B. King a few times -- he once played a midnight concert when Magic Johnson's wife Cookie had a birthday party at B.B. King's club in Universal CityWalk in L.A. Awesome.

As for other gigs to see, Long Beach Blues Festival in California on Labor Day weekend at Long Beach State is worth checking out.

And finally, Ray Bailey rocks!

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Got to see Buddy Guy as the opener to a couple Dave Matthews concerts at Soldier Field about five years ago. Awesome, awesome, even at his age. And you know a DMB crowd can 'preciate ... very cool show. :)

3. The more I listen, the further back I go, and the further back I go, the more amazed I am. You start getting past Charlie Patton and back into the old string-band stuff from Harry Smith's Anthology Of American Folk Music -- and, yes, Pirate Lou, is also has sea chanteys. Shiver me timbers, Squire Trelawney! -- and you really find yourself in the weird and wonderful.
    Also, my favorite version of John The Revelator is done by Johnny Nicholas, although Son House kicks ass on it, too, although Son's Death Letter is the real scarifying stuff.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Every time I've seen Buddy Guy, he's been amazing. He's not only really, really, really, really, really talented, he's also a great performer.

5. Budy Guy's been pretty hit or miss in my experience.
    Now Son Seals, that's a different story.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I got into the blues back in the late-70s as a kid seeing B.B. King on the Tonight Show and while I don't listen to it as much as I used to but I am still really into guys like King, Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter and Robert Cray.

Stevie Ray Vaughan will always be my all-time fave blues guy and his brother is no slouch either. Good to see some love here for Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials and the late Son Seals.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When speakin of the Blues you have to mention ZZ Top - started out as Texas bluesman - Rio grande has some great blues stuff- Lagrange is based on John Lee hooker's - boogie chillin.

I'm not wild about Buddy Guy. His stuff all sounds the same to me.

Anyone ever visit the Slippery Noodle Inn in Indy - one of the great Blues bars in the country.

8. Boom --
    Great moment in Noodle History --
    Back in 1991, during the Final Four, some patron kept yelling to whatever band was playing to do "Purple Haze." Finally, the singer told everyone to blow into the top of their beer bottles. Then, he played the opening riff, and said, "That's all we know." Never been able to listen to that song the same way again.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great call, Boom. Billy Gibbons was a shit-hot blues player back before the Top blew up on MTV. All of their albums up to Eliminator had great blues stuff on them. They do a great version of "Dust My Broom" and "Blue Jean Blues" was a classic original to name just two.

10. Mudbone

Mudbone New Member

I'm about finished with Scorsese's seven-disc series. It's pretty educational, even for the seasoned blues fan. I suggest checking it out along with Clapton's album, Me and Mr. Johnson.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fenian - that is a great story. Its the perfect place to digest that big steak from St Elmo's

12. OK, Boom, now here's the tough one.
    What's the THIRD thing to do in Indy?
    ("Run for the airport" is not acceptable.)

Draft saved Draft deleted