1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Black Sports Reporters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

David Boston, a couple of years ago, got so huge it was ridiculous. He had traps that would have made Ahnuld in his prime envious. Plus, Boston and his butt buddy Thomas Jones were both prone to spats of incomprehensible rage ... two of the most unpleasant people I've ever dealt with.

2. Sorry, I was away.
    Certainly.
    The NBA brand is, by all empirical evidence, the most successful worldwide of all the American sports. By which I mean, it makes more money around the world than does the brand of any other American sport. It does so regardless of the success or failure of any team at any time, and regardless of the basic esthetic value of the league's play itself. (The boom came just as the NBA settled into its post-Jordan lethargy.) Witness the market penetration in places like China. Once, when I was in Qatar, back in the days before we turned it into an aircraft carrier, I went to a sporting goods store to buy jerseys from the participating teams in the soccer tournament I was covering. All the place had was Michael Jordan gear, and this was the end of the world.
    All's I'm saying is that, losing the WC doesn't hurt the NBA brand in a significant way because the NBA brand sells itself beyond the game itself. It's like McDonald's now, or Disney.
    Or Ball State, to name another multinational juggernaut.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The memo came out April 8, 1974

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I hope the success of Sunday's show prompts ESPN to bring back "Black College Sports Today."

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Problem is this for the skill guys.....

The figurative "runny nose" indicative of steroid use, patellar tendinitis/rupture and myriad other chronic tendinitis, more than cancels out the positive effects.

6. i'm embarrassed by what some of you think you know about performance-enhancing-drug use and football....

and i missed the memo that said "bonds must be stopped." maybe mine got sent to the same place where the "mcgwire must be stopped" memo went..... stopping bonds is like the civil-rights movement for some sportswriters. everybody wants to be the rosa parks of this movement. let it go. it ain't that important. seriously. baseball will survive. it has survived much, much worse.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

stopping Bonds is nothing like stopping civil rights, it's more like stopping John D Rockefeller. John D played mostly within the rules, bribery and extortion being part of the rules, yet in the end, he was bad for the country. Bonds played mostly within the rules, if not the written rule book rules, by using HGH, steroids and whatever else he could. But in the end, he was, if not the most flagrant abuser, the most rewarded beneficiary of performance enhancing substances.
    Baseball survived the Black Sox, WWII, integration, free agency and Pete Rose. It will survive Bonds. But the first time someone, anyone, says Barry Bonds is the greatest homerun hitter of all time, all sports will suffer an irreparable injury. Bonds is a fraud who couldn't carry Hank Aaron's jock strap or Frank Robinson's sanitary socks.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm embarrassed that you think that Babe Ruth held the record and Bonds holds it now.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Incumbent on baseball fans?

Are you out of your fucking mind?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yes... If you see Barry Bonds, kick him in the shin.

11. Drugs make people crazy.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So it's safe to say I won't see you sandwiched between Scoop and Michael Kay anytime soon?

Draft saved Draft deleted