1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Black Sports Reporters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Sep 3, 2006.

1. They are, and they have. Rep. Tom Davis was quoted the other day in the Charlotte Observer as saying his committee - the same one that paraded baseball on national TV and made fools of McGwire and Sosa - will be compelled to look at what's going on in the NFL. This after bringing the NFL and NBA before them last April.

In this case, it appears to be the media which is befuddlingly uninterested. Or perhaps just weary. Hell Bonds is getting closer to Aaron, and you don't hear anything. I think everybody's just tired of the issue. Hell I am too, but that's tough, it's a problem that needs rooting out.

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

That YouTube video is hilarious, complete with out-of-nowhere potshots at Berman and Simmons in the credits.

3. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

The contract can't have more than two years left. Tick, tock, SAS. Save wisely.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

right or wrong, folks don't care about the nfl steroid issue. the players most likely using artificial means to bulk up are anonymous to the average joe, and aren't the players chasing individual records in a sport without any magic individual numbers. the public doesn't care, so reporters don't care all that much.. baseball and track are different animals. they're individual, statistic-driven sports. folks care about individual records. so the media cares.

the assumption among the populace is that all nfl o-linemen are freaks and do anything to stay strong and competitive. folks are ho-hum about it. that's why the follow ups to the charlotte story aren't done by anyone except maybe the steroid-obsessed ny daily news. nfl o-linemen might be getting over the testing system? why should anyone care? :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. shockey, i hope you don't believe nfl linemen are the only ones using performance-enhancing drugs. they're used by all positions... i agree the perception is it's only linemen... but the truth is quite different.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Everyone is all over the NFL for drug leniency... yet how many MLB players have missed a quarter of the season for a positive test (major leaguers... not minor leaguers)? How many have been suspended for an entire season?

Shock, I posted a paraphrase of your post on the last runaround Barry Bonds apologism binge Whitlock went on.

Bonds is going after Aaron and the greatest sports mark of all time.

It is incumbent on any baseball fan to stop him.

THAT is why there is a passion and anger.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, they tried to give Touchdown Charlie a reach-around, but his gunt got in the way.

8. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Did I miss the memo? When did this become official?

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

jason, until someone can show how a "performance enhancer" used by nfl skill position players has given anyone barry bonds-like improvements, i simply contend most folks will not give a darn. that's all. the players using chemical means to gain an edge is IMPOSSIBLE to clean up entirely. the guilty always seem to be ahead of the posse. it's simply that in football, which is the ultimate team game, "cheaters" are less apt to have the impact baseball cheaters do. which is why folks are more passionate there. the results are far more tangible.

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

i've got no horse in this race, but somebody needs to pull shirtless photos of

David Boston from last year
    Jerry Porter from this year

If those guys weren't on something, i'd like the workout tips

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

some guys can get big naturally.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

It's not news that David Boston was on 'roids. He has been suspended in the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted