1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"the black donnellys"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Feb 26, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mr. Crank,

I'm impressed. How's life in Lucan? :)

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cue Nelson Muntz...

3. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Actually I've never visited the place. But I have read the books. Miller's is best by far. I just checked my copy. Orlo Miller was an Anglican minister who turned to writing. He wrote The Donnellys Must Die in 1962 and he died in 1993. You can get the book on amazon.ca. What's striking about the story is how miserable everyone's lives were. These people spent most of their time burning down each other's houses and barns and killing their livestock plus the odd human. The rest of the time they spent taking each other to court on assault and arson charges.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

We haven't advanced that much. We'd probably still be doing the same things if not for "Hockey Night in Canada" and "American Idol." :D

And I was going to say, you can't be from Lucan, because if you were, odds are you'd be trying very hard to ignore this thread. You'd have the usual attitude, "Hey, maybe if we don't talk about it, it didn't really happen."

You know, I've always thought that one of my first destinations after I perfect my time machine should be the Roman Line, just after midnight on Feb. 4, 1880. I'll bet James Carroll and his friends crap in their drawers when I come flying up the road in my DeLorean, then jump out with a Glock in each hand and start busting caps. Mrs. Carroll and the other women of Biddulph won't be pleased come laundry day.

My second stop - the Dakota, Dec. 8, 1980. If I sneak up behind Mark David Chapman and nudge him just enough, maybe I can get him to plug Yucko Oh No instead of John. [/denisleary]

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

this just in: "jenny" is still hot. anyone new check it out tonight? ??? ??? ???

i was in like with a gorgeous black-irish lass named michelle muldoon in college. she broke my heart with a blindside breakup. maybe that's why i find "jenny" so fetching. sigh.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Read the Miller book back in the early 70's. And what other name could an Anglican minister from Ontario have than Orlo? :)

Please, my fellow American friends, don't take this the wrong way but if this massacre had happened in the United States, there'd be a Black Donnellys theme park.

We're not too good up here with our mythology.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm just happy to see all those guys from "The Wire", "Oz" and "Law & Order" get another acting job.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

bd is available for free download on itunes

and s60 sucked balls

9. So a bunch of Irish guys get drunk and have a punch-up.
    In a bar.
    During a wake.
    Where's Jason O'Whitlough when we need him?

10. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

big irish families: fight, drink, hang in bars, are loyal, get revenge.
    WOW, this was enlightning TV.

But...I kind of liked the show. Risky move, the whole show started off as a rushed introduction with both local king pins getting knocked off (it would have taken a year to reach that arc on the Sopranos). I guess they, the writers, are betting even better stuff as the two new young guys take control, etc.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

No kidding. It took almost 35 years to get around to a miniseries about the 1972 Summit Series and almost 90 years for one about the 1917 Halifax explosion. It'll be 90 years exactly when CBC's Vimy Ridge commemoration airs in April.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

in this day and age, you've gotta hook 'em early on network tv.

Draft saved Draft deleted