1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"the black donnellys"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Apparently the whole story is still taboo in and around the Lucan area. I guess some old grudges take far longer to die than those who would nurse them.

It's remarkable to think, though, that the Donnellys are still being talked about 127 years later. They're almost like our own James Gang or something like that.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This, too, makes me smile.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

"mystic river" is my fave movie in recent years. the donnelly with the bad leg -- jimmy? -- is played by the guy with the mute brother in "mystic river." name's tom guiry (thanks, imd). he was also the kid in "sandlot."

yeesh, i need to get a life, eh?

4. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

In real life, the Donnelly with the bad leg was a middle son, Will, who was born with a club foot. He was considered the smartest of the bunch, and was a good businessman who ran a stage line with his brothers. The stage line and its competitors were the source of much of the violence leading up to the massacre. Will was considered the mastermind of the clan by his enemies. He survived the massacre because the killers were running low on nerve and booze by the time they got to his house.
    The subject is still taboo in some Lucan and London homes because religion - Catholic or Protestant - still plays a major role in those homes.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That made me happy ... But it seems like too many people were pulling for Studio 60 to fail. Just seems odd.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why the hatin' for NBC?

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

FWIW, I got the new TV Guide today and critic Matt Roush ripped the show a new one in his weekly review column.

Don't know if he's right. I made a point to miss it for the same reason BYH did.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Just off the trailer, music sounds good.

Love bassy music with the pipes in the background.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Will was the second oldest of the seven boys and the killers initially thought they had gotten him, blowing him away when he came to the front door of his house. It turned out to be John, another brother who was spending the night there.

10. I watched the first 15 minutes or so of TBD. It seemed like it was a complete rip-off of the movie "Sleepers" with a little bit of Bronx Tale violence sprinkled in.

I'd prefer to watch Studio 60. At this point, I don't need any more television shows in my rotation.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

The review I read on Black Dungarees wasn't positive, either. But I recorded it anyway. I'll probably check it out Friday night.

My wife is upset about Studio 60, but I never found the show that entertaining. The only thing I enjoyed was that on-screen blow up in the pilot. I tried watching the next two episodes, but I found no substance to the thing.

12. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

You are correct, sir. Their taste for blood ran out after John was killed, so they didn't turn Will's house upside down looking for him. The killers were eventually rounded up - the local constabulary among them - and put on trial but no jury had the cojones to convict them, so they all walked. The legend was they all met a violent death one way or another but that was embellished greatly at best. Some did come to sticky ends but that was because many of them were low-life drunks and because of the general hard times they lived in.

Draft saved Draft deleted