1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"the black donnellys"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Feb 26, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

funny on mcadams: didn't think twice when i saw her in "mean girls." fell hard for her in "wedding crashers." you do the math. :eek: ;D :eek:

yup. we could go on and on...

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ditto.

3. Jeebus.
    More heart-o-gold, begorrah bullshit Irish hoodlums?
    I'm beginning to know how some Italian folks feel about the Godfather films.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How do you think I feel? I'm half-italian, half-irish. I'm starting to wonder if I'm worth a damn if I'm not smashing glasses over people's heads in the bar and breaking people's knee caps when they don't pay up in a fantasy league.

5. I agree. Can't condone the move. Just another shoot-'em-up.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

don't be a hater! 8)

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I shall third this notion. I'm not happy.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed. I was a fan of both Invasion and The Nine, which were taking their time and got canned. Daybreak too. But Lost and Heroes have managed to thrive while doing that.

9. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

this show is right up my alley ... it looks like a mystic river meets godfather type series, I like shit like that

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm still pissed that The Nine, Vanished, Kidnapped and Smith have been canceled...

I like Studio 60 better than all of them...

11. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

The Black Donnellys were a bunch of low grade drunken hoodlums, as were most of their neighbours, in Lucan, Ont., just outside London. The whole works of them brought the Catholic-Protestant hatreds to Canada from Ireland. The Donnellys were Catholic, but known as Blackfeet, which is the lowest of the low among Catholics of the day because those were people who were friendly and/or did business with Protestants.
    They were murdered by their fellow Catholics with, if not the blessing, the silent approval of the local priest. Still, the Donnellys were far from angels and had a murder or two in their past.
    In the early 1960s, a fellow named, I think, Thomas Kelley, wrote a couple of quickie semi-fiction books that portrayed the Donnellys as Robin Hood types.
    The most authoritive work on them was a book called The Donnellys Must Die by Oro Miller. He's the one who actually did some research on the religious hatred angle.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted