1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Black Crowes: HOF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 17, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Your musical opinion has been rendered moot by this statement. Radiohead is the best band in the world.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And this is a tremendous video.

Would York have made a run on the girl had the guy not come out of the stall?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The problem, as I've said from the outset and I think most everyone agrees, is that it's almost not fair to group them with that generation of artists. They were in that generation, but not really of that generation. I know they eventually tried to kind of attach themselves to the countercultural jam band movement that was going on at the time. I think it was sincere, particularly on Chris's part. But also a bit of a cultural credibility play after Nirvana blew apart rock 'n' roll.

The Black Crowes are better than Soundgarden. They're better than Stone Temple Pilots. They're better, I think, than Nine Inch Nails. They're better than the Counting Crows and Dave Matthews Band and definitely Lenny Kravitz, who basically did what they did but not as well. But oddly and kind of uniquely, that doesn't mean they deserve this kind of immortality ahead of any of those acts (except maybe the latter three).

I guess the silver lining is that there are very few acts in the history of the genre that would care less about that kind of honor than the Black Crowes.

4. CD Boogie

Soundgarden will get elected to the Hall someday.

5. Dick Whitman

Did you read to the end of the paragraph or just get worked up and post as fast as you could once you saw the first sentence of it?

6. CD Boogie

Worked up? Says the guy who serial posts. You said the Black Crowes are better than Soundgarden. They're not. They didn't have the same staying power. You will hear Soundgarden in classic rotations a lot more frequently than the Black Crowes, though unfortunately it's often a song -- Black Hole Sun -- that is not among their best or even close.

7. Dick Whitman

That's fine, but that wasn't what you posted, and what you did post was not a rebuttal to anything I said.

8. CD Boogie

So what?

9. Dick Whitman

Yes, they did. Soundgarden was done after "Down on the Upside." They basically had three albums anyone gave a good goddamn about. They had about the same mainstream chart success as the Black Crowes.

This simply isn't the case. You hear "Jealous Again," "Hard to Handle," "She Talks to Angels," "Remedy," "Thorn in My Pride" far more than you hear Soundgarden on rock radio.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Radiohead still sucks.

11. Dick Whitman

I don't understand this response. I posted that I think that although the Black Crowes are better than Soundgarden, Soundgarden still probably merits HOF induction before the Black Crowes.

Your response, which appeared to be an attempted rebuttal, was: "Soundgarden will be in the Hall of Fame some day."

Yes, I said that.

You didn't finish the paragraph.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Soundgarden was good, but they had the least staying power of the top Grunge bands. They're not even in the same zip code as AIC.

Draft saved Draft deleted