1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Black Crowes: HOF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Any of you guys nostalgic for the Black Crowes should check out Mount Moriah. Similar musically, but a little more country and with a chick singer.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Better bands/artists than the Black Crowes from the 1990s (not including any bands that got their start in the '80s like REM and Red Hot Chili Peppers, but some of these had their first album in '89 but didn't get big until the '90s):

Pearl Jam
    Nirvana
    Beck
    Green Day
    Radiohead
    Soundgarden
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Nine Inch Nails
    Oasis
    Weezer
    Tool
    Foo Fighters
    Counting Crows
    Dave Matthews Band?
    Snoop Dogg
    Eminem
    Tupac
    Outkast
    Lenny Kravitz
    Notorious B.I.G.

This is just the ones off the top of my head. Many of these didn't have staying power; others did. Some of them are in the Hall; some aren't. All of them should be in before the Crowes (maybe not the rap/hip-hop guys, but the Hall has been taking those in lately). And this doesn't count all the bands from the '80s that should be in line in front of them as well.

Maybe the Black Crowes get in someday in a weak class, but they aren't even in the top 20 bands/artists for the decade in which they were most prolific.

swingline likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

First time I saw the Black Crowes live was at Hordefest, the year Jerry Garcia died. In fact, I think he died within a few weeks of the show I went to.

The Crowes headlined, and came on after hours and hours of terrible Grateful Dead covers and "tributes." I was ready to hang myself before they came on and blew me away with a completely Dead-less set. They saved the entire day.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

Edited for accuracy.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Lenny Kravitz and Weezer are probably the shakiest artists on that list, but you're right, there are a lot of groups and singers from that era who exceeded the Crowes, including Alice in Chains, which for my money is the most underrated group of that era.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Green Day sucks.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Oasis grates on my nerves every time on of their songs starts on my satellite radio. Christ, I can't stand that dude's voice.

I'll vote no on the Black Crowes.

8. MisterCreosote

Radiohead sucks.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Correct.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oasis was the best rock 'n' roll band in the world from the mid-90s till the late-00's.

11. MisterCreosote

If Shannon Hoon had lived, Blind Melon might have become the best band of the '90s.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think you and I pretty much have lockstep taste.

Draft saved Draft deleted