1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Black Crowes: HOF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Cursed somewhat by being contemporaries with the Seattle bands, but multiple No. albums, hit singles, and a decades long career as an under-the-radar touring band. Shared the stage with none other than Jimmy Page.

I'm post more, but "Sister Luck" just popped up on the shuffle.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to say "no". They are their generation's version of 70s-80s "arena rock" (Journey, REOSpeedwagon, Foreigner) in the sense they weren't influential or broke new ground. They delivered classic rock/blues numbers that rocked, but had a relatively small peak before their initial breakup/hiatus, reunited had another hit album, then broke up again.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In an objective world, yes.

Under the current leadership of the Hall, it's far less likely.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I went on a HOF bad blind date to see the Black Crowes. Some girl at work asked me to go to the show, I went, had a good time and didn't realize until a boss asked a few weeks later about our 'date' that it was a date.
    Good show tho. Susan Tedeschi opened.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's another conspiracy, YF. And a media cover-up!!!!!!

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I'll go with no. Guess with every hall of fame, eventually people feel it gets watered down. Maybe my opinion of the Black Crowes is influenced by their early hype. Remember hearing how they were a heavily blues influenced band and comparisons were made to Led Zeppelin. Think they're similar to Boston with a very good first album and nothing after that equaled it.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My thinking is they may eventually get in, because the pickings are going to get awful slim over the next decade or so.

Plus they represent a strain of Southern 90s rock to counterbalance the Seattle domination.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Good God, no.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I hope not, given that I think you should have to be far more successful and/or influential to be in a hall of fame. And I say that as someone that listened to and enjoyed a ton of Black Crowes songs in the 1990s. I think of them as a slightly more successful Drivin n Cryin, whom I still adore and listen to regularly. I haven't listened to a Black Crowes song in probably a decade, or even really thought about them at all.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No, good but not great band.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is blasphemy.

Southern Harmony and Three Snakes and a Charm are equal to or better than Shake Your Money Maker.

Their live albums, including the one with Jimmy Page, are legendary. Hell, most of the acoustic remixes on their Greatest Hits album are as good or better than the originals.

Arguing about the Rock and Roll HOF is almost as pointless as arguing about the Pro Wrestling HOF (the only criteria for induction is being on good terms with the boss), but the Black Crowes are unequivocally deserving.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Their last album El Camino might have put them over the top for the HOF.

Draft saved Draft deleted