1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bitterness in Seattle won't end

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GidalKaiser, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

They once drew very well and were on pace for 2 million fans in 1994 despite playing in a hunk of shit stadium. Various lousy owners, including MLB itself, then ensured the team would never seriously contend again.

The point I'm making is, the Expos were stolen from Montreal as much as any team was ever stolen from a city.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

two questions: 1. do people in your department actually take vacations?

2. and i'd rather punch an interesting AP feature 1,000 times before force feeding a POS local piece that should be stripped with a mug. on top of that, take a POS local story, more times than not, you're going to walk away with a POS piece of art as well. keep working that line of thinking, sooner or later, you have a POS section.

just my two cents.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think you and I are arguing on the same side of this point, Tom.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

naw, bud, i was supporting your point. i want you to beat the crap out of your SE. ; )

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

figuratively, of course.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just keep your eyes up when doing it.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The philosophy at each paper differs. I get that. There were plenty of times in TC when I wrote a local story that was played inside in favor of the Sonics, Mariners, Seahawks or something national (car racing, golf, etc.). The belief was that had a larger audience than some prep or rec event.

And the population included a large number of transplants who had allegiances to all sorts of teams outside the region.

I've also been at places that would run frisby golf on the cover simply because it was local and I certainly didn't agree with that. Just because a dozen people are playing down on the corner doesn't mean the rest of the town wants to read about it.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

TESTIFY!! Long live Youpiee.

9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

He's hanging out at the Bell Centre now.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

With all of the money Loria has taken in from revenue sharing and the loan MLB gave him to buy the Marlins, the Expos could have paid for a new stadium. But MLB wanted a team in a big market and moving the Expos was the easiest way to get it done.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Quebec City is wondering Tri-Cities is angry about. Try losing YOUR team one summer, only to watch them win it all the following season.

12. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

You make a point. FYI, we do have a D-I university in town, and we are six days a week.

I agree with giving readers what they want, local or not. I'm just of the belief that 90 percent of the time, that's local.

Draft saved Draft deleted