1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bitterness in Seattle won't end

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GidalKaiser, Jun 7, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If it's like here, school just ended ... but is that some sort of all-league story stripped across the top?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why is that?

During my time there, we often ran AP stuff out front. It really depended on what the news was. But we weren't hyper-local, like some other places I've worked.

And, yes, it's June. The high schools are done. The minor-league baseball team doesn't start for a few more weeks. Not sure when the big local amateur golf tournaments are (late June/early July, I think). So not as much happening as some other times of the year.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I thought the headline was hilarious.
    I seriously doubt there are many local sports stories going on in the Tri-Cities right now. I don't know the sports staffing level, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some sports staff is taking time off this week. And as was pointed out, it looks like a local story is up top.

4. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I'm just a big believer that in this day and age, papers need to concentrate on local stuff more than ever. I mean, who is reading that paper for a Thunder-Spurs AP gamer?

At my shop, preps are over. Right now we're going through players of the year and all-area teams while still finding features to run. I'm at a smaller paper than the one being discussed, yet we'll always have a local centerpiece throughout the summer.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Nice. I have no idea of the backstory either, but that's a great pull.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Christ.

You give readers what they want. If it's local, so much the better, but if makes them pick up your section it doesn't matter if the story of interest is a staff byline, AP, Reuters, Agence France Presse, UPI, INS, Pravda or carrier pigeon.

We overthink this way too much sometimes and get dogmatic about shit our readers mostly couldn't give two shits about.

I'm not saying you don't originate local stories, you do, but pillorying a paper over one AP story is just asinine.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

unless your paper has a major university in town, a professional baseball team or horse racing or some other summer sport other than legion ball, your paper is crap and runs shitty center pieces ... or is something other than seven days a week.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This is where I think hyperlocal has a serious flaw when it comes to sport. Yes, you can run out and cover the kidball games and the croquet camps "because it's local," (crossthread with NCAA golf thread), but do readers want to read about QuickeeMart vs. Krusty Burger in the under-8 title game like they did last month when it was Podunk East vs. Podunk West for the regional high school title? And should it be covered the same?

Yeah, we're working on all-county teams. And we're covering the service club all-star games too. We've got a couple of race tracks in the area, so that's means clicking on a couple of sites, a call to the promoter and, boom, motorsports notebook. And if phone tag with Olympic hopefuls and their posses were an event, I'd have the gold iced.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Expos fans think Sonics fans should get over it already.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought people just cared about the WNBA in Seartle or was that just a load of crap to try to make the Sonic's relocation nt seem that bad?

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's a fight I had repeatedly with my former SE, whose mantra was, "We need to give readers something they can't get anywhere else" I'd always get the look from him when I'd ask things like if there was a reason you couldn't find feature stories on church-league softball players anywhere else ... because no one else cares.

I'd rather have a good local centerpiece that merits the spot. but for the New Sonics to reach the Finals, I think it's fair to have that at least on the cover.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No one seems to care about most newspapers anymore no matter what stories are put into it.

Draft saved Draft deleted