1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bills are staying in Buffalo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But let's even use the thread title as a baseline. The BUFFALO BILLS just sold for $1.4 billion.

Now, I understand the Bills' importance to Buffalo but let's be real, the Bills are not the Raiders.

The Raiders are part of the heart and soul of what the NFL became after the merger. It *is* about the brand name, and few sports brands are bigger than "Raiders" even when they continue to suck.

2. Songbird

I have no comeback for that. Attendance, ratings, etc, are valid bullet points but still pale to the overall picture, IMO.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If the Bills are worth $1.4B, then the Raiders could play inside a TV studio in Oakland and be worth at least $1.0B.

All you need is one billionaire willing to outbid nobody to drive the price up.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think if they Raiders are sold, they will fetch more than $1.4 Billion. Of course, that would be likely contingent on moving the team, new stadium, etc.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oakland is going to have to make a call soon between the A's and Raiders. Both want the current site and both need the other one gone to execute a plan. Neither wants to move anywhere else in the city.

Tommy Boy might just dumb his way into the jackpot. One thing that won't happen, though, is a sale with a promise to stay in Oakland.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, it's a $1.4 billion-dollar franchise.

OK, so all those "NFL returning to LA" stories I've read over the past 20 years or so referencing the Chargers, Vikings, Jags, Bills or Raiders possibly moving to LA, or the stories about a new stadium in Irwindale, City of Industry, Carson, on the site of the current Coliseum or at Hollywood Park are because nobody there LA wants an NFL team?

And I guess Toronto can suck it too. Those transplanted games never drew there and are being discontinued anyways, if I read it right. OTOH, the Blue Jays have been the best parent team the Bisons have had in ages, so I take that back.

I'm just thrilled they are staying in place. The Bills are the heart and soul of WNY.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Your last sentence sums up how this Torontonian feels about it too. I have been a regular visitor to Bills home games for years - know many people with season tickets - and have always loved it (despite being a Dolphins fan).

Southern Ontario would be a massive market for the NFL but fans in Toronto quickly saw what a sham the Bills games here were. Larcenously priced and lacking all the atmosphere and excitement of a Bills home game. Fans here want their own team, not one that shows up once a season. Give the fans here their own team in a proper, outdoor facility and you will see how great this market is. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You ever see any fan interest coming from LA? No. Its been some local tire kickers like Eli Broad, some loudmouths like Magic Johnson, and columnists, who have a vested interest in an NFL team coming here. As far as the SD, Jacksonville, Minnesota and Oakland stories? Those originate from the owners of those teams, to play LA off their local municipality. Zero fan groundswell.

9. Songbird

USC is LA's pro team.

10. poindexter

For the heck of it, I searched for a "Bring an NFL Team back to LA" facebook page. There is one. It has 330 likes. The greater LA area has more than 10,000,000 people.

https://www.facebook.com/NFL2LA

Most cat videos get more than 330 likes.

11. poindexter

That page is the Factory of Sadness of facebook pages.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I remember right, the last Forbes calculation also had the Rams below the Bills.

Draft saved Draft deleted