1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bills are staying in Buffalo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

True, or unless they got a stadium deal (which they won't)

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You don't think "The Raiders!" is worth $1 billion?

"Raiders" is on par with "Yankees" and "Red Sox" and "Dodgers" and "Steelers" and "Bears" and "Lakers" and "Celtics" ...

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Haha, good one, Xan.

But no.

4. Songbird

How are you coming up with that calculation?

5. LongTimeListener

That the Raiders aren't worth the value of the teams you just named? Why don't you check their attendance and their TV ratings on a weekly basis starting in, oh, about 2003. The old man is dead, the franchise as you know it doesn't exist, and nobody wants it. (ETA: I mean fans and consumers, as in "nobody wants the product." I'm sure there are rich guys who want it as a toy.)

Now, somebody could spruce it up again, and if they get to L.A. they'd zoom right back up, and maybe on that promise they are indeed worth a billion. I have a feeling we will find out in the near future. But as the Oakland Raiders, no.

6. Songbird

You're right about attendance, they were dead-last in 2013 at 50K per game but that's not the totality of the equation. The Oakland Coliseum only holds 63K and even if the Raiders got 63K they'd be near the Bears -- who were 7th from the bottom at 63K a game (61K capacity).

The Cowboys got their league-leading 88K a game last year even though capacity at Jerry World is 80K.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Suck it, LA?

Keep your two-bit franchise. Nobody here is pining for the NFL.

8. ryanb

ryanb Member

Why does the capacity of the Oakland Coliseum matter in this discussion if the attendance isn't reaching capacity?

The Raiders were once a brand name on a par with some of those you mentioned, but not any more.

9. Songbird

The Raiders are still a brand name. They'll forever be a brand name.

If they started 6-0 next season (or even rip off 5 straight wins this season), the place would be packed. Supply and demand.

10. RecoveringJournalist

I could get people arguing that the Raiders name might bump up the value of the franchise, but I agree with LTL that the franchise isn't worth $1.4 million unless it's being moved. If it's being moved to LA, it might be worth twice that.

11. LongTimeListener

The Raiders played several games that were blacked out locally while winning three straight division titles and reaching a Super Bowl between 2000 and 2002.

12. RecoveringJournalist

The Niners turned it around that quickly in 2011 after a decade of being God-fucking-awful.

I still can't imagine the Raiders doing anything positive as a franchise until the team is sold.

Draft saved Draft deleted