1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The biggest train wreck of a film ever is on TV right now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 8, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It is past 4 a.m. and I am watching a film called "Playing For Keeps" from 1986 on one of the HBO channels. I won't even describe the film in detail, and how awful it is -- the plot and the acting is beyond brutal. I just looked and it has only 3.8 stars on IMDB. What is fascinating about the film, though, is the casting. It is mostly a bunch of horrible actors whose careers died soon afterward. Not surprising. The lead actor is brutal. But a young Marisa Tomei is in it (she is really pretty and likeable). Jimmy Baio has a small role, and every time he speaks I start reflexively laughing. And the actor who played Marlo Thomas' dad on That Girl is in it. Oh, and the directors were Bob and Harvey Weinstein. This may be the oddest film ever made; it has to be one of the worst films ever made, yet some of the people involved went on to do some things. Anyone remember it, because I have no memory of this train wreck? And why didn't the Weinstein brothers bury this thing and make sure it never saw the light of day again? I mean, why is this on HBO right now?!?!?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Even money says Mikey likes it and can recite it line by line

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And yet you're watching it.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not just watching it. I am mesmerized by it. It's getting worse as it goes along, too. Right now I am wondering if my TV set is going to blow up while the credits roll because that is the only place this can still go.

EDIT: Another Jimmy Baio sighting just now.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Gotta love the IMDB comments: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091767/#comment

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

it starts in 20 minutes and i actually feel compelled to watch because of this thread.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

'what a total fucking waste of time this was'

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

do people in ny really play christopher columbus? wtf?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

danny, why aren't you at work?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

if you suspect a fowler is near.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

the psychadelic van with a periscope is a bit much.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

hey ragu, are you spike? i could see you having a shoulder length perm.

Draft saved Draft deleted