1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The biggest thank you I've ever given

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

To the SJ community:

Thank you, as big and as loud as I can say it.

The past week has been miserable, rotten, nasty, awful, horrible - I could go on and on. My kids are among the so many still struggling to find a way to handle it. This is not what college is supposed to be like. I talk to each of them about 10 times a day, urging them every time to take advantage of the counseling being offered. My daughter called about noon yesterday, as upset as I've ever heard her. She'd just walked through the memorial displays. My son walked out to meet Ward Burton yesterday, which cheered him some. Then he went and took another look at the memorial for his friend among the victims and he was down again.

The outpouring of support they've received has been terrific as has the outpouring of support I have received from this community. The PMs, e-mails and phone calls have all meant a lot.

People ask me regularly why I want to deal with the nonsense that sometimes takes place here (sometimes)? This is why. Nothing is perfect, not even our little SJ world. But there are so many good, caring, genuine people here that I've lost count. I'm not the first who has received support in a difficult time and I won't be the last.

Again, a million trillion gajillion thanks, from the entire Moddy family. And keep the entire VT community in your thoughts and prayers. I was talking to the kids the other night when they were on an up, hearing their circle of friends laughing in the background. I started crying, thinking of all the circles around campus that were missing someone. How long will it be before they're able to laugh again?

As bad as you imagine it is there, it's worse. So thanks again for helping one family deal with things.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I hope the kids take advantage of the counseling, Moddy, not because it will fix anything but because it might help them find a way to deal.

My best to the entire Moddy family.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Moddy, I know I can't give much more support to anyone over there than to give you (or others) a cyberhug and say a prayer for you. And it's been done more than a few times.

You've been a big support to me and others in the past so anytime I can help -- even if it's just an open PM box to spill your guts in or to scream at -- feel free.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

All the best to you and yours, Mod man.

And to the entire VT community of 25,000+. The emotional scars of last week will run deep and long--through the end of this school year, to the start of a new one in the fall, and probably beyond. Everyone there needs our thoughts and prayers and positive energy.

So, I send mine now with this post. And I'll continue to do so in the days, weeks and months to come.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In talking with another member via PM this morning, I shared with him the e-mail the father of one of the victims, a professor at VT, sent to his students. We agreed it was something the board should see. I am not violating any family confidences here. It was read at the public funeral, it was in some of the newspapers.
    It is telling and touching *** says a lot about the professor/father that he thought about his students while dealing with the worst thing imaginable.

“My family’s worst fears were confirmed a few hours ago. My daughter was one of the victims in Norris Hall. She would have been 19 years old next Tuesday. My family hurts deeply for the loss of our precious baby.

“We ask that you pray for us and for the rest of the Virginia Tech community that has suffered so greatly.

“At this point, I don’t know how or where our class will continue. The guest speakers scheduled for April 25 and April 30 may carry on, but in a different location.

“If we don’t meet again, your final assignment from me is perhaps the most important lesson you will learn in life.

“Go to your mother, father, brothers and sisters and tell them with all your heart how much you love them. And tell them that you know how much they love you, too.

“Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.”

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Tears are falling as I type. Thanks for sharing, Moddy. Big hug to you and everyone affected.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was out of town last week, near Blacksburg, oddly enough. I didn't read the shooting thread, and I had no idea you had connections to VT, Moddy. I guess many more here could, too.

I am deeply sorry for the losses your community have suffered. I have never, and hope I never am, been involved in a situation like that. I cannot imagine the grief and anxiety a parent with children at that school felt that day.

Hug 'em every day you can, man.

God bless you all.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Moddy... I didn't read the shooting thread and had no idea your kids went to VT.

I'm sorry for the losses and shock your kids must be feeling and for what you're going through as a parent. Like others here have said hopefully your kids take advantage of the counseling and find the way to cope that is best for each of them.

Positive thoughts going out to you and your family.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Like TBF and EStreet, I didn't know about your VaTech connections. Somehow, I missed that.

Hopefully, your kids are taking advantage of the counseling. I can't imagine how I might have taken the news at KU, it's not exactly something you plan to go through. My heart goes out to everyone there who must do that now.

My thoughts will be with your family.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Moddy, what a heartwarming e-mail from the girl's father. Thanks for posting it. If I could have physically made it, I would have attended the mass for Matt LaPorte yesterday here in Dumont. Didn't know him or the family but felt close to it because I live in the same town. Very, very sad. All I can say is hang in there. I think the way the campus community is getting on with life is wonderful.

If you ever need to release some emotions, feel free.

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Moddy, as someone who lives on a college campus near lots of kids either from near that area or who know people at VT, that I am praying for your kids...I know it's rough, just because it's rough here, on campus several hundred miles away without any gunmen.

I know their feelings--college is where we're naive, where we think we're always safe and our biggest concern is our final exams next week or what party we're headed to this weekend. It's certainly not a place for real world problems like death and destruction, at least in our minds.

I wish your kids all the best, Moddy, especially since I can't fathom what they could possibly be going through. Thoughts and prayers are with everyone in your family and in the VTech family.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Moddy I'm so glad your kids are some semblence of OK, meaning, you'll get to give them hugs for years to come. Best wishes.

Draft saved Draft deleted