1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Dyno .. you GO!

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm on the train, too. And I have a question. What do you put on your sandwiches other than mayo or mustard? I have never been a big fan of mayo, and I'm losing my appetite for the spicy mustard that I usually ask for. A lot of sandwich shops only offer yellow mustard, honey mustard or spicy mustard. Is there another option? I'd be willing to carry my own condiments if I could find something else to add a little flavor without the calories.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I do the spicy mustard a lot but some sandwiches work well with relish, too. If I know I'm going out and likely to have a sandwich I often bring an old prescription bottle with fat-free Miracle Whip.

4. HeinekenMan

I had an apple with dinner tonight. I used a little leftover caramel dip to make it more appealing. Apples taste fine, but they are boring. Of course, I know added some worthless calories. The main ingredient in the dip was HFCS, naturally. Or maybe unnaturally.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Great diet tip: Eat a green apple (Granny Smith) before a meal, completely fills you up and you don't overeat the meal. Very high fiber and acidic, slashes your appetite and makes you feel full faster.

Probably does not work with the caramel dip.

6. HeinekenMan

There were some chunks of Granny Smith apple in my Wendy's salad last night. Those salads are packed full of fat, but I ate the least fattening of the four. It still had 27 grams of fat in it. But I had not eaten any fat all day. I believe a lot of the fat came from the pecans. So at least that's good fat.

Blackened snapper is on the menu for tonight. Sauce recommendations?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No sauce. Use lemons.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mustard is very healthy. So is tabasco and I read something that said when people eat really spicy food, they eat less.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Another vote for mustard. I often do oven frying by brushing my meat with Dijon mustard and then rolling it in wholewheat breadcrumbs. A skinless chicken breast works especially well - stays moist and is tasty.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I get a roasted red pepper spread at Trader Joe's that I use for sandwiches sometimes. You can't use much because it will make bread soggy if it sits too long, but it adds some nice flavor. I don't have the jar handy, so I'm not sure of the calorie count, but it's higher than mustard but much lower than mayo.

As for my weight, as of this morning, it looks like I'm down about 2.5 lbs. for the week. I'm very pleased.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've been hanging tough at about 160-162 the last couple weeks, but I'm actually about to start really concentrating on body shape instead of just flat-out weight. Time to get rid of this belly for good.

Down 25 pounds overall this year at this point (55 pounds from a few years ago).

Today, I went to Old Navy and blew about $150 on shirts and jeans because none of my old ones fit any more. The wife and I went out to dinner last night and I wore an old L-sized button-up from Gap. It looked like I was swimming in it! So I bought all medium-sized shirts at Old Navy. They still hang a little far down for my liking, so the hope is that I'll be trading in for small in a few months and this was just the in-between step.

I read somewhere recently that most men are a natural small or medium, but they all think they're a large or extra large. Or they just buy the large sizes to try to hide their bulk.

12. HeinekenMan

I was supposed to have blackened red snapper tonight, but Mrs. Me decided to bake it and go light on the seasoning.

I made a remoulade out of some horseradish sauce, English mustard, pickle relish and hot sauce. It seems I have a sauce fetish this week. I was shocked that the remoulade was edible. I don't think I've ever had it. So I'm not sure what it was supposed to taste like. But I enjoyed it.

The bad news is that the steamed yellow squash was mushy and disgusting, and the brown rice was cold. Plus, not a single thing on the plate had any crunch to it. In the future, I'm going to roast veggies rather than steam them.

Draft saved Draft deleted