1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think it has a lot to do with grocery trips being smaller in bulk and farther between, and then the rationing aspect of it. I really think that's it.

I have a friend who is an ex-bouncer and all-around big dude who took to carrying a small bowl around with him at meals, even on business. Whatever fit in the bowl, that would be all he'd have for his meal. And it was a pretty small bowl. He went from looking like a third-string center to an edge rusher, just by that self-policing on portion control.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

One doctor made it pretty simple. Have a hamburger, but don't have fries. Have a sandwich, but don't have chips. Carbs and sugar are the enemy. You can nearly eliminate sugar, but carbs are harder to avoid. Just cut down on them. My wife lost 80 pounds doing Keto.

Hermes, I Should Coco and Moderator1 like this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Eliminate carbs. Limit salt and sugar.

It’s all you really need to know. You can pretty much eat as much as you want if you follow those rules and exercise even a little bit.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Carbs are sugar. The distinction is in added or processed sugar. Nobody should eat a sugar free diet. You couldn't eat a vegetable. The problem is processed snacks and bread are calorie dense while fruits and vegetables are mostly water and fiber.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Doing it again, boys and girls. I’m doing it again.

Moderator1 likes this.
  6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Over the past 18 months or so, I'm down about 40-45 lbs from my high weight of 250 lbs (I'm about 6'1"). Did it more by changing my diet (less processed foods after I got hitched) than through any extra active lifestyle change.

Tighthead and I Should Coco like this.
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have been trying to drink water instead of pop (mostly successful), go for a walk (sorta successful) and not drink as much beer (largely unsuccessful) and have dropped 9 pounds from my high of 264.
    Wife had a huge medical issue this past year and it changed out diet, so that is good for me. Although I did just down 6 mini eggrolls at 11:15 pm (but late-night snacking is WAY down from a year ago)

8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Ah yes, those are the two big diet changes for me: no pop and smaller portion sizes.

Let's just say in my bachelor days it wasn't unheard of for me to down a tub of ice cream.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My wife says that resistance training is very effective for weight loss.

As long as what you resist is food.

Songbird and PaperDoll like this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

After a year of slipping off of my modified South Beach diet and a pandemic’s worth of too much drinking, am trying to recommit in 2022 to the weight loss program. The plan is to go from my January 1st weight of 232 pounds to 217 by Super Bowl weekend (when I have a guys weekend) and 210 by May 1st. I am in really good cardio shape, so it has to be all about diet. No fried food, no alcohol for January and no bad snacks.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not sure whether to put this on the weight thread or take care of yourself but:

I dumped (mostly diet) soda 13 months ago, and that was a good choice for me. It wasn’t an enjoyment event - a few beers on a Friday summer night is for me - and the soda just made me want to eat more salty stuff.

I know that’s not a choice everyone wants to make or can make; for some, I know that Diet Dew is the thing keeping them from some other vice. But it’s been good for me.

Dog8Cats and Azrael like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good work.

Draft saved Draft deleted