1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Dyno ... at this point it just feels like winning that I haven't gained any of it back. :D

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My clothes are starting to tell me that I have. Ugh. I was eating chips and guac when I read your post. I am ashamed.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hell, I eat all kinds of crap. And drink whiskey and beer (I sound like an Irish folk song). Then I go for 60 km bike rides on the weekend. Girls gots ta eat! :D

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A bike ride would be put me in the hospital. I have to keep my weight under control solely based on what I eat. Good for you, though! Your weight loss (and the length of your bike rides) is very inspirational.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My hats off to you, Dyno. If I couldn't exercise and had to do strictly diet I'd be in trouble. There are days when I can't see the 75 lbs I've lost, only the 35 I still have to go. Hang in there and post here whenever you need a pick-me-up.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've never been obese, but I've also never been ideal. I've never seen my abs, for example, and never not had a guy hanging over my belt.

Anyway, I've really been trying this summer, for the first time, to get a flat stomach that I don't have to hide with my clothes. I started at about 185 this spring, was 180 a month ago, and today weighed in at 170 (my lowest since college was 168 about five years ago; my highest was about 215). I still have a belly, though - measured around my waist today and it was 37 inches (even though I wear size 34 pants - weird).

I'm about 5-foot-10, and the chart says I should be between 151-163 pounds and have a 32-inch waist. I'm determined to get into that range and maintain health in my middle age. It's a tough road, though. I've been jogging like crazy this summer, and limiting calories. But I'm pretty sure that the bad calories I eat - example, potato chips, hamburgers, chicken nuggets, Hot Pockets, etc., etc. - are holding me back, even though I practice portion control.

I think in the past I never realized how low I was actually supposed to go. I always patted myself on the back for being in the low 170s. Time to break through that barrier, though.

Patience, right?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The disparity in your waist measurement is probably just because you likely measured too low. Your waist isn't really where your belt hangs, but it's usually a little higher. When you look in the mirror, it's the narrowest part of your torso. It's usually just below your ribcage and around even with your bellybutton.

8. Dick Whitman

Yeah, that's where I've been measuring. I think it's just a matter of abdominal fat being the last to disappear.

168.8 pounds this morning, lowest since early 2005.

Lowest since college: 168.0
    Highest since college: 215 (winter of 2002-03).
    Weight at beginning of this latest push: 185

Oh, and FWIW, I always thought I was 5-10. The other day, I checked and I'm actually 5-9. So that helped explain why I'm still chubby around the middle, even at weights I thought were healthy.

It's been eye-opening to really investigate and see where I'm supposed to try to be - probably more like 150, whereas I used to think that 170 was ideal for me, and didn't understand why I still had a belly.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Finally did it!! Got up at 5AM and rode my first (Canadian) Century. Actually, I set out to ride the 100 kms but, due to a wrong turn ended up riding 120. Home by 11:30AM, tired and sore but really, really proud of myself.

I can also safely say that I won't attempt that distance again on the bike I have now. Too heavy for the climbs and my thumbs and palms are aching from the gear shift. I think I'll stick with my 60 km rides for the nonce. :D

10. Dick Whitman

Holding steady at around 166, but still 10-15 more pounds to lose.

Problem is I'm getting to a frame where family and friends are giving me grief for it.

Today, I turned down cookies from my mother and told her I was trying to watch what I eat right now. My own mother.

Her response: "You don't need to lose any more weight!"

Me: "Yes, I do. I've still got a gut."

Mom: "For heaven's sake, you'll waste away to nothing! You need to stay right where you are. You don't have anything else to lose. You look fine!"

So annoying.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good work, HC.

Where are you in that last photo? :D ;)

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The straight answer: a friend's backyard near my house. The more esoteric answer: In a much better space than 2 years ago. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted