1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Honestly, I believe Weight Watcher's is the best program out there.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I agree, HC. It teaches you how to eat in the real world. Now if I could only get back on track with maintenance!

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm down 12 pounds already by just cutting out coke/pepsi/Mt Dew.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That happened to me a few years ago ... I cut out soda (unless it had Jack Daniels in it) and lost 7 pounds immediately (which I later gained back)

I drink a lot of juice now and didn't realize at first how much sugar is in it ... but if you stick with the light stuff, it's usually OK for you. I have some light cranberry juice that has 2 g of sugar as opposed 30 g in the regular and it tastes fine. Anything that has the Splenda logo on it usually tastes pretty good.

Wal-Mart's no-sugar added apple juice is decent on the amount of sugar it contains and tastes really good (and it's only $1.50).

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Two years ago I couldn't walk a couple of blocks without stopping to sit for a few minutes. This morning, 3 weeks after my 50th birthday, I'm down almost 80 lbs and rode my bike about 60 kms before breakfast. Just wanted to share that with y'all and thank again all those that have been sending encouragement my way.

6. I had forgotten about this thread for a couple weeks, but thought I'd post this update:

Just finished my third week of p90x. Have only done two weeks of workouts because of a couple trips for work, but always followed my diet plan. I've tightened my belt two notches and will probably have to buy a smaller belt by the end of this week. Don't know how much weight I've lost, and I don't really care. But I've felt better in my day to day life over the last three weeks than I have since I was probably in middle school. I enjoy getting up in the morning and doing the workouts ... Except for yoga, yoga sucks monkey balls. But there's a lot of things that appeal to someone like me who likes to do athletic things. I love the kenpo X (kick boxing) and I can't wait to do the plyometrics in either Week 4 or 5. I know plyometrics is going to kill me, but having watched my roommate do it, I think I'll enjoy the challenge.

My second week of workouts was definitely easier than the first. I actually puked after my very first workout, but I look at that as a badge of honor. I've never felt like it was too much and I haven't yet felt like I want to quit. I figure that's a good sign.

7. sportswriter3000

sportswriter3000 New Member

Congrats to all who have lost weight.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Stayed out of the gym today and did my first 3-mile road run. Unfortunately, I waited until 2 p.m. when it was 90 degrees and humid, and ran a hilly road near my house. Lesson learned. Early morning or early evening runs outdoors from now on.

First half-mile was fine, but I died after that with no shade. Spent the rest of the run stopping to walk periodically. It was also difficult to figure out my pace, since I didn't have a watch or timer. When I was running, I was apparently going quite a bit faster than my usual pace (9-9:30 miles) because even though I walked a bunch, I finished in 36 minutes. I'm sure that had a lot to do with my need to walk, as well as the blazing sun.

My last half-mile was pretty good, though, so there's still some hope for me. :D With any luck, I'll do better tomorrow.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That's great, bp! I personally can't deal with the gym anymore but I've taken to getting up at 5AM on the weekends and going for long bike rides. Rode about 100 kms (60 miles) this weekend and felt awesome. You own the world that early .. it's quiet, no traffic, no idiots and no heat.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Okay, so after a 7 month plateau (since my show closed in early January) I finally got my 75 lb chip at Weight Watchers. :D

11. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I am down 29 pounds since Jan 09 and 15 pounds since the end of May 2010. I am at 189 which is the least I've been in about three years. I am hoping to get down to 170 by the end of the year. Controlling what I eat has made a big difference. I used to eat a ton of pasta. Now i have replaced it with more veggies and smaller portions.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

HC - congratulations! I need to take inspiration from you. Everytime I look at my WW keychain I get disgusted with myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted