1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. I should be the biggest looser. ... Someone spammed the weight loss thread that was stickied at the top of Anything Goes, and I hit the wrong button when I tried to delete it. I nuked the entire thread. I feel terrible. I apologize to everyone, particularly the people who had filled up the thread with really good advice and great motivational stories. I wish I could bring back everything I accidentally destroyed, but since I think it is gone for good, the best I can do is start a new one and hope people continue where it left off. I apologize again. - Ragu, looser-extraordinaire.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn you suck!
    Joking. I've done it before, too. Stuff appens (like my stuck keys)

Let's just build a new one.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Should have blamed it on 21.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The story should have gone that SportsJournalists.com was also in a losing mode!

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it's like SportsJournalists.com dropping 5 pounds. Next, nuke the "songs you're listening to" thread and it would be like shedding 20 pounds.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just to get this thread back to its original intention (and not to brag at all, I swear, no really, my motives are purely noble :D ), I've dropped 30 pounds since early January and now weigh the least I have since graduating college nine years ago.

I'm down to 199 and looking and feeling much better (I actually have a visible jawbone again!). I'm hoping to shed about nine more pounds and tighten up my chest and abs (arms and legs are looking good, if I may be so bold.

It hasn't even been that difficult. I'm working out about four times a week (sometimes more) at the YMCA and eating right, without losing all the flavor of my food. I had pizza the other day made with whole wheat dough and lowfat cheese and it tasted as good as any pizza I've ever made.

The progress has been remarkable and I don't feel like I'm missing out on good food.

And, yes, it helps that my beautiful fiancee is a personal trainer. :D

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Dang, Ragu. I'm sorry.

I knew that there might be consequences for gaining back some of the weight I lost and then crowed about on the old thread.

But, I didn't think it would nuke the whole thing.

Please forgive me.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Congrats, pern! That's great news! Congrats on such a remarkable change, and having a fiancee who can help/support is always good. :)

9. bigpern23

Thanks, IJAG ... I was actually surprised at how quickly I started seeing results and that has only increased my motivation to keep working hard.

My fiancee and I built one cheat day a week into our diet where we can eat our favorite foods without worrying about the carbs or calories, so it's not like we're completely missing out on the stuff we love to eat. Also, by doing that, it changes things up and that keeps your metabolism on its toes, so eating a big ol' bacon cheeseburger can actually be healthy for you! :)

10. bigpern23

28 minutes and 3.5 miles on the elliptical followed by 22 minutes and 2 miles on the treadmill today and I could have gone longer, but had time constraints. Starting to feel really good every day at the gym. It's really so much easier than you think it is.

I find that what motivates me most is what my fiancee told me once .... you get one hour a day to really push yourself, the other 23 you're going to be sleeping, eating or sitting, make it count.

11. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I like to think of my gym time this way as well. If I can do more today than I did yesterday, and push myself just a little, more, then I've used my hour to my best advantage, which is more than I can say for most of the other 23 I'm allotted every day.

Excellent take on it.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Well, haven't lost any more weight since the show closed and I went back to an office job. On the other hand, I haven't gained any of it back which is a MAJOR victory for me. Got out my bike for the first ride of the year today. Definitely need to get back in shape but I'm ready. Time to restart the losing part.

I don't know about you guys, but when I start to exercise, it doesn't take long to get in shape. It's as if my body was just waiting for the opportunity, ya know?

Draft saved Draft deleted