1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Unit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good news is the Nats' win of the week is out of the way so Johnson will likely win tomorrow.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I got a bad feeling, backed up by weather.com's forecast for tomorrow night.

Not good. Not good at all.

3. topsheep

topsheep Member

shut up with that weather talk! it will be gorgeous, and we will watch history.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Eh, typical afternoon thunderstorms. Maybe a slight delay, but there will be ball.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What was the answer?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Jim Leyritz, actually. He hit .111 against Unit in 45 at-bats.

Rickey hit .119 in 59 ABs.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Frank Menechino, who was at most three apples tall, actually took Johnson deep twice in 12 at-bats. And he managed to hit a whole 34 homers off of other pitchers.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I saw him pitch a gem against the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium on Sept. 11, 2005. A 1-0 win where he went seven or eight innings and struck out eight. Guy was a helluva pitcher. Time to hit the road toward Cooperstown, though.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wow. Jim Leyritz had a lower BA against Johnson than his BAC.

And I am so rooting for the Nats tomorrow night.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Goddamn, that is awesome. :D

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My favorite Randy Johnson story -- Several years ago on the Braves pre-game radio show, a old lady called in and asked Skip Caray why Johnson was referred to as "The Big Eunuch."

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh man that was an awesome game. Beautiful day on a sad anniversary (reminded me of 9/11/01 in terms of how sunny and cloudless it was), Wakefield matching Johnson pitch-for-pitch except for a Giambi homer that just got over the RF fence. And I think Rivera had two hairy innings but got the save. One of the best regular season games I've ever seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted