1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Unit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 2, 2009.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I saw in in Jacksonville. All I remember was that he was wild.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was at the Holman game and it was one of my biggest regrets because around the 7th or 8th I was thinking no one's gotten a hit or a walk, perfecto? Since its the rarest pitching feat, I started thinking about witnessing history. After he gets 2 down in the 9th, I'm thinking Mike Gallego, 9th place hitter, great shot and Phelps homers. Damn. Well what's even worse is everyone in the park is cheering Phelps and I'm steamed because "don't you knuckleheads realize that we just missed a chance to see history?"

As for the Unit, being a local guy there are accounts of him in HS and at USC and its funny but he was only around a .500 pitcher in HS and at USC.

I'm tempted to make him the most dominant pitcher that I've seen since the '70s, above Clemens and Maddux. His high 90s heat coupled with the frisbee slider? Yikes. Plus he dominated a few postseasons, unlike Clemens or Maddux.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at the lack of coverage/buzz, too. Barely a mention in the Post the last couple days, which is surprising because I figure ol' Chico is tired of writing about the Nats by now. Maybe they play it up a little bigger tomorrow? who knows.

So the phrase "You sick bastard!!!" is applicable now. But hell, who needs a reason to talk shit about you?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

See post above. Chico has plenty to write about for tomorrow. I think the Post has someone else there tonight to do something for tomorrow.

5. JackReacher

Makes sense with all that going on.

Hopefully, the rain stays away tomorrow. Oops, did I just do what I think I did?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sonner, I am so going to kick you in the nuts in Baltimore.

7. JackReacher

I just bought NBA Finals tickets. I don't have any nuts left. My wife is in possession of them. Probably a permanent situation. Sorry for your bad luck. :)

8. topsheep

topsheep Member

moddy and co. who are going to the game, where do you want to meet for a pregame cold one and nachos and dogs?

9. Moderator1

Let me get at you tomorrow when I know what time I'm leaving.
    I'd like to get up there early enough to stop by The Ugly Mug for a plate of their chicken nachos and a Blue Moon.
    If not, I'll get something in the eating area beyond left field.

10. topsheep

topsheep Member

i'm taking the earliest train into d.c. don't know what time i'll get in. i assume around 1 p.m.

11. Moderator1

I'll still be south of Richmond then.
    Go drink yourself silly at the Ugly Mug and take the shuttle to the park.

12. JackReacher

Damn. Forgot they have a shuttle. That's tempting since I can take a shuttle from work to the L'Enfant (sp) metro. But so I don't leave my co-worker hanging, I'll prolly just head over to the park -- a whole three blocks -- right after work.

In case anyone wants to grab a beer, I'll be there no later than 5. The beer in the bullpen (directly across the street from the CF gates) is way cheaper, for those who have never been.

Draft saved Draft deleted