1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Unit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 2, 2009.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I can promise you there are some in baseball that think Johnson was on the juice.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

We'll see more 300-game winners. What we won't see again is the rare penis-joke name double of Randy Johnson, the Big Unit.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As for RJ being a prick ... I always thought that until I got about a 15-minute one-on-one with him for a story I was writing about Bob Brenly earlier in the aughts. Couldn't have been nicer or more engaging. Even cracked a few jokes. He certainly could get surly, especially after bad starts, but I always thought he got a bad rap in that regard.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I think in 10 years we'll be able to more accurately place Randy amongst the league's all-time elite southpaws. Obliterating that bird with a fastball may have moved him up a notch in my book!

Big Unit is at No. 2 on my list behind Spahn, who was not only durable, adapted when he couldn't overpower folks any more, but who sacrificed several peak years to serve his country in WWII just like Ted Williams and others. He even led (or tied for the lead) in the NL in wins from 1957-1961 (a streak started when he was 36) and had a baker's dozen number of 20-win seasons. He was a machine and I would have loved to have seen him pitch live.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Big Papi, anyone? (I never realized the sexual connotations of that nickname until I dated a Latina).

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, I read the Verducci story and it sounded like Johnson said he "may have" taken some substances that are now banned in the past.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Agreed. That's why I said (at the time).

He certainly admitted tried all sorts of shit from GNC and the like.

And I'm OK with that. If it wasn't banned and wasn't illegal, it should have been fair game.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

In 20 years, maybe. Take a look at the active career wins list. No one's even close.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was supposed to join the SJ gang tomorrow but my loving wife gave me whatever it is she has so I have a 100 fever as I type. Driving five or six hours sick probably isn't the smartest thing. Oh to be 22 and stupid again. Hope he doesn't get it you bastards! :D

I, for one can't believe the lack of buzz around his push for 300. As many have noted here, at the very least, he's almost certainly going to be the last 300-game winner for 20 years, unless Jamie Moyer pitches until he is 56 (a real possibility, granted). You'd think there'd be more coverage and anticipation of/for it.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well the Nats today:

*fired St. Claire and replaced him with Steve McCatty
    *announced Flores is likely out for the year
    *activated Dukes

So that's all MUCH MUCH bigger.

Plenty of seats available. I called my guy, who knows my preferences. He shot back with about 40 sections that had my kind of tickets available.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

As to Johnson being a prick, please see his time in Seattle where he essentially quit on the Mariners before being dealt to Houston and his handling of the daughter he fathered by a woman he dated early in his years with Seattle. That said, the guy is an impressive pitching specimen considering how much work he had to do to control his gift. He was Nuke Laloosh at one point.

Draft saved Draft deleted