1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ten and academics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

Exactly. It's so fucking narrow-minded to think that these guys are all in school to get a classroom education. They're not. Sure, we should encourage every kid to get his college degree while he's there. But there's no way a coach like John Calipari should tell a kid like John Wall that he should stay in school and get his degree. If he did that, he should be fired for not doing his job.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh I agree the former is defensible, I just don't think it's true. It's my take that the more prestigious schools are, in some ways, bigger sell-outs because their showplace athletes (not all, of course, but the vast, vast majority) are even less representative academically of their typical student.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wait, I just heard someone say, "Georgetown".

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Many coaches, in a John Wall situation, would tell him to go pro, although they'd be doing cartwheels if the star stayed. It also makes them look good to say that they had a kid make the NBA.

It's people like Dicky V, who still thinks it's 1970 and that everything should be pure that is the problem.

The issue I have is that, after much kicking and screaming, the NCAA now allows a kid to declare for the draft and change his mind as long as he doesn't sign with an agent and changes his mind before a certain date. Yet, if the kid stays in the draft, and doesn't get picked, he's screwed.

They should allow non-drafted kids to come back to play in college, at least once.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They should allow kids to enter the draft, SIGN WITH THE TEAM, then if they get cut in training camp, come back to college.

Only when they actually play in a regular-season game should they lose college eligibility.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Although ND is down some, I hated when Holtz or someone else tooted the horn about ND's graduation rate or even Duke/NC's graduation rates because those schools (used to) had the pick of the litter, not only would the best HS athletes want to go there, the best HS athletes WITH great academics wanted to go there, so the schools were already way ahead of the game. A guy like Shane Battier would have graduated at Duke or anywhere else. Its a "clean" program because you're already getting the cream of the crop.

Draft saved Draft deleted