1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The big mess that is the Big Dig

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jul 13, 2006.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

August of 1991: Go to Boston and Maine with family, Dad deals with the hassle of driving through the first year of the Big Dig.

April of 1993: Go to Boston/Beverly/Peabody with h.s.b.f., who deals with the hassle of driving through the Big Dig.

May of 2004: Drive up to Boston to visit friends and house-hunt. Deal with the hassle of driving through the Big Dig.

June/July of 2004: Read Boston papers and find out the Big Dig has sprung leaks. Do not want to deal with the hassle of driving through the Big Dig. But continue to do so.

Two mornings ago: Wake up to hear on the radio that a woman has been killed because a piece of the Big Dig fell on her. Jeez, didn't I just drive through the Big Dig recently? :eek:

2. KP

KP Active Member

Same way as you always would have gone (I was thinking you had been here before) years before. T may be your best bet, especially if you pack light. Silver Line (not a train and uses some public roads in the affected area so there will be delays) goes from terminals to South Station where you can take the Red Line to Cambridge. Or you can take the shuttle bus to the Blue Line Airport stop, transfer to the Green Line at Government Center and transfer to the Red Line at Park Street.

3. Go up Route 1 and either drive or have the cabbie take you to Cambridge via Rte. 16.
    You'lll pay a little more, but you'll be moving most of the time.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Congratulate the Boston mob. They've done a heck of a job...[/dripping with sarcasm]

5. Yeah, I'd certainly feel better if it were non-union labor at work here for about 4 bucks an hour.

6. KP

KP Active Member

If it were non-union labor then it would have been the exterior wall that gave way.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why were the tenders not issued with penalties for late completion and/or bonuses for early completion? Isn't that SOP in big construction projects these days?

Wasn't 3/4 of the entire Interstate Highway System built in 20 years, between the mid-'50s and the mid-70s?

8. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Sure the victim's family feels the same way...as long as F_B feels good about it, I guess we should all feel that way

9. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

where is the minmum wage 4 an hour, ?

10. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

As opposed shoddy union labor at 40 an hour?

11. KP

KP Active Member

Different contractors, but similiar design down in Fall River on I-195.
    http://www.s-t.com/daily/09-99/09-14-99/a01lo012.htm

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Which joke did you like best, moron? Because I thought all three were pretty lame. God forbid you put them all in one post. But I'm sure you're right, I'm sure F_B breathed a big ol' sigh of relief when he saw that someone had died. Jackass.

Draft saved Draft deleted