1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The big mess that is the Big Dig

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just wanted to find out from our constituents in and around Boston about how they're coping with the Big Dig disaster. Looks like it could be a pretty messy situation for quite some time (as if it wasn't already).

In case you're unaware: http://www.boston.com/news/specials/big_dig_ceiling_collapse/

2. KP

KP Active Member

Just got back from the Cape yesterday from the annual company boozefest. Took 75 minutes to crawl my way up 93 from Braintree to South Bay, Honestly, I could have run it faster. If flying in/out of Boston leave plenty of extra time.

It was good to see Mitt was able to continue his vacation up in NH after making a token appearance.
    Reilly just got the boost he needed for his run for gov.
    Amorello will take the bullet, as he should, but the contractors are the ones who should be ready to face the judges.

3. BostonCeltz

BostonCeltz Guest

What a mess it is. Shame on the city of Boston for spending so much money and coming up with something as shoddy and poorly constructed as the Big Dig.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Lovely. I'm flying to Boston this weekend. How long does it take to get from Logan to Cambridge?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Biggest transportation disaster in American history.

A slight exaggeration, perhaps. But I grew up in New England and we've been hearing about the Big fucking Dig for nearly 20 years.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Depends on the day of the week and time. Since your going to Cambridge you'll be going the same way, you'll just have more company going through the rock-solid Sumner Tunnel that was built back in 1934.

And Celtz, the city spent nothing. Billions and billions of federal dollars were used. The shame goes to Bechtel the designers of the entire project, Modern Continental the contracor, Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, those that inspect these types of projects, the politicos that are doing their fairshare of grandstanding.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Nothing about the Big Dig surprises me anymore;

-a few billion over budget
    -a few years behind schedule
    -shoddy work

None of it is/was unexpected........and sadly an innocent woman has now lost her life because of incompetence and the feeling of entitlement shared by our government, Modern Continental and many Union workers who worked on the project.

Workers were given no incentive to finish the project on time, why would they even want to? They were making Union rates, why hurry and work yourself out of all that money? So in turn, they milked and earned an extra 3+ years worth of wages.

8. Armchair_QB

Same way as what?

I get in Friday night and leave Sunday afternoon.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

It's about 5 miles from Logan to Cambridge.....so on a friday afternoon it should take around 2 hours, pack a lunch.

10. Armchair_QB

How about late Friday night? Pack a pizza?

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Are you renting a car? If not, just take the T.

12. Armchair_QB

Was thinking of taking a cab but I'll probably take the T now.

Draft saved Draft deleted