1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The big lie: How the oil companies are ripping us off

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jul 16, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fucking assholes. If it's a Friday, it must be time to come up with a reason for prices to skyrocket.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080718/oil_prices.html

It'll be closer to $140 than $130 10 hours from now.

Fucking assholes. Not a place hot enough in hell.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Why?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know, I know -- the oil companies are evil and your government is going to protect us from them........(of course, who is going to protect us from our government?)

[​IMG]

The chart below, from TaxFoundation.org, tracks oil industry profits from 1977 to 2004, as well as the gasoline taxes levied by the federal and state governments for each of those years. It’s interesting to note the boom-bust cycle for oil industry profits. The profits in the mid -2000’s are comparable to the profits in the early 1980’s. But, in the two decades between, profits were much lower, sometimes only reaching 20% of the profits during the boom years. The boom years need to cover the bust years in order to keep the industry going.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. OK.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's amazing how people flip over a 10 cent move in the price of gas. Filling in 10 gallons, that's a buck. Not being wasteful here, but it's a buck.
    I own a 98 Acura. I've got 133,000 miles on it. I've put mid-grade gas into it for the entirety of its existence, voluntarily paying an extra dime because I figure it might help the car last longer. Whether or not I'm correct, 10 years of paying an extra 10 cents a gallon has meant how much out of my wallet? About $532. That's in 10 freaking years.
    And people are killing themselves to get $3.99 gas?
    Man, no wonder shows like Big Brother and America's Got Talent can last on TV.

6. zagoshe

It is simple, "big oil" is now the boogeyman for libs and as such there is a false hysteria being created to make it seem as if the industry is out of control. And the easiest way to drudge up support for whatever new big government policy you want to implement is to create a boogeyman from some rich greedy capitalists and then rile up working men with all kinds of charges about how they are getting screwed......

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let's just ignore the sustained tax-subsidy blowjobs the industry has received, forever.

8. zagoshe

Yes, because that's the only industry that receives tax-subsidy blowjobs........ ::)

But while we are on the subject, I suspect we won't see Obama and his followers taking this industry to task for its tax subsidy blowjobs and excessive profit windfalls.......

Planned Parenthood’s obscene profits
    by Michelle Malkin
    Creators Syndicate
    Copyrights 2008

GOP presidential candidate John McCain sounded more like a Democrat presidential candidate (a recurring trend) when he joined the Left’s oil industry-bashers a few weeks ago. Asked by a North Carolina voter whether he supported a Jimmy Carter-era windfall profits tax, McCain responded: “Um, I don’t like obscene profits being made anywhere–and I’d be glad to look not just at the windfall profits tax–that’s not what bothers me–but we should look at any incentives that we are giving to people or industries or corporations that are distorting the market.”

Here’s an idea for all the hand-wringing GOP strategists in Washington wondering what it will take to win back disgusted economic and social conservatives: How about a Republican presidential candidate who will talk about the tax-subsidized abortion industry the way McCain talks about oil industry?

In April, the annual report of Planned Parenthood Federation of America revealed that the abortion giant had a total income of $1.02 billion—with reported profits of nearly $115 million. Taxpayers kick in more than $336 million worth of government grants and contracts at both the state and federal levels. That’s a third of Planned Parenthood’s budget.

And what market-distorting results do we get for those government incentives? 289,650 abortions in 2006.

Oil execs, tobacco execs, banking execs, pharmaceutical company execs, and baseball players have all been hauled up before Congress for highly-publicized whippings by crusading lawmakers. But the executives of Planned Parenthood have escaped government scrutiny and public accountability for their predatory behavior, dangerous medical practices, deception, and deadly windfall........

I know, I know THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!!!!!

9. There's debate, and then there's juvenile turd throwing. Grow up.

10. zagoshe

Yeah, that's right -- it is turd throwing to point out that every major industry gets tax subsidies, every major industry has (gasp!!!) profits and every major industry has friends in powerful places that protect them.....

Yet, the only "evil" ones who take advantage of it according to the libs are tobacco, pharmaceuticals and big oil -- they are the devil, the industries that are easiest to demagogue about but when someone points out that many of the lib's favorite industries are also subsidised and make "obscene" profits (I'm not even sure what that means -- isn't the goal to make as much money as possible?) they whine about turd throwing, as if, these boards exist for the liberal Mafia to start as many threads as possible per day to bash Bush, big oil, McCain and conservative Christians --- and that's evident given their only responses when called out or held accountable for ludicrous statements is THAT'S DIFFERENT or HE'S A TROLL.....I suppose the third response is "turd thrower....."

You grow up.

You can't have it both ways, as much as so many of you want to frame every debate to that which is pleasing to your sensibilities, you can't. And you are an extreme hypocrite if you can't accept the fact that most of the shit you bitch about the other side doing -- or in this case the other sides favorite industry -- your side is doing as well.

You can make fun of all of us who vote for third party candidates because we are "wasting our vote" all you want -- but at least we aren't deluding ourselves into thinking that there is some big difference between two parties that are bought and paid for by the rich, powerful and elite and who both clearly govern and legislate that way.

11. prhack

prhack Member

In the two years I've been driving my 2006 Honda CRV, the price of gas has risen from $2.11 per gallon for the first tank to $4.09 per gallon for the last. That first tank (which I packed to more than 15 gallons) cost me $32.16. The last (barely 13 gallons) was $54.

Using those number, if I fill up once a week (conservative estimate given my commute), that means I'm now paying $2,808 per year as opposed to $1,672.32, a change of $1,135.68 (nearly $95 per month).

So no, we're not flipping out over a dime.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why does everybody focus so much on profit MARGINS with regard to oil companies?

Their success lies not in their margin, but in their total amount of sales.

Would you rather have a business that had $500,000 revenues and a 30% profit margin, or one that had $80,000,000,000 in revenues and an 8% profit margin?

Draft saved Draft deleted