1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Lead Reveal, Take 2

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 13, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

WFW.

If you're going to try to get stories, you're a journalist and you'd better play by the rules of journalism. The rules don't go away because you write a BLOG! in your parents' basement. I'm not saying Jason writes TBL in his parents' basement, just using the common example.

I used to keep my own BLOG! I'd link to news stories on Yahoo! and in other places I considered reliable. But I'd also make sure I backed up what I said with facts.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Excellent post. But I want to point out something too: I definitely speak up when I see that kind of crap posted on SportsJournalists.com as well. It's not just a thing with TBL. I was the one who when bonkers on Mayfly and Redenbacher over the comments about Rich Eisen's wife. And about the Erin Andrews circle jerk before it was locked. And way, way back, about Boom (and others) commenting about Rushin's wife. Some people think we should just let it go, hey no big deal, and I'm not one of those people. Others see things differently, and that's fine.

Mizzou, it's completely absurd to me that Johnny Dangerously can come on here and post that Reilly was in the press box behaving completely normal and fine, that, yes, he was with his girlfriend and but no one saw them sucking face, and you can turn around and say "It was 100 percent fucking true" when EDSBS posted he was drunk and stoned and loud and obnoxious, and TBL linked it, and that was totally fine.

It's quite obvious that you ignore everything that doesn't fit in with the way you see the world.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What really, really bothers me is why top-line journos such as Whitlock, Crouse and others would attach their good names to an enterprise that stands for everything our training and profession has taught us to despise.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I will write this before reading everyone's posts so my opinion isn't swayed.

I never heard of the guy before. I'll probably forget who he is in a month. Most people will.

It's probably sell high time for Jason, so he reveals himself. He can live off the notoriety of TBL and people can put a name on the man behind the curtain. He reveals himself, all who hate him without knowing him can now have an actual person to hate. Their opinions won't change. All those who didn't hate him can say, oh, okay, I never heard of that guy anyway.

After all, who's the guy who writes Fire Joe Morgan again? I forgot already. It's not like Rick Reilly suddenly revealed himself as the author.

TBL is the brand, not Jason whatshisname. If someone like the brand before, maybe Jason lands himself with some new writing opportunities. If someone didn't like the brand before, well, now they can not like the brand and the brander.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't understand the reasoning of people like Mizzou. I don't think the objection is strictly from a journalism standpoint but from a human one. Stealing copyright images, which TBL admitted on this site, is not merely a professional transgression but a legal one. Passing on rumors about an athlete's private life without regard for the truth is scuzzy whether it's done by a journalist or a janitor because it ignores the basic humanity and the rights of those involved. Not to go biblical, but there is that thing about bearing false witness. So I really don't buy that "it's just a blog" argument.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Reilly was in the press box with his girlfriend, with a credential that he requested minutes before kickoff, he was not being normal and fine... I don't remember anything that hinted that he might have been stoned. I know several writers who were there who said he was with his girlfriend, they were kissing and acting drunk...

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I just want to make sure Cadet's post gets its due. This is the problem. And we've already seen it play out on the news side with Drudge, and the effect unsubstantiated online reporting has on the news cycle.

Am I jealous of tbl? Decidedly not. Do I have some personal stake in how he does his work? I'm afraid I do, if only by association.

8. Mizzougrad96

Of course you don't... Because you're a journalist...

You might not care about rumors or personal lives of athletes or pictures of Tim Tebow getting plowed, but a lot of people do... Millions of people do...

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is all fine and true. And goalmouth asks the question I've been asking.

Again, as goalmouth said, why go there?

It's either ignorance about what TBL is doing, or it's ego.

By talking about it, we eliminate ignorance from the equation.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Hey, some people like watching dogfights. Michael Vick was just filling a need.

11. Mizzougrad96

Whitlock lost a job that paid him six figures because of an interview he did on that site...

Then he went back and did another one...

I'm guessing he likes the site... Every journalist out there knows what happened to Whitlock and by doing the interviews, it shows that they like the site...

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

what's the O/U on this thread getting locked?

Draft saved Draft deleted