1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Lead Reveal, Take 2

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It isn't that you thought my joke and some other posts were over the top, it's that you and others called them an embarrassment, and seemingly a low point for this site. If that's your honest opinion, you and others have a skewed sense of what goes on here on a daily basis.

And those of you who feel it's professional jealousy couldn't be more wrong. I'm very happy with my career and station in life. I have no desire to run sports gossip blog. And I'm guessing everyone who posted on that thread last night feels the same way.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Joshua Marshall has plenty of ethics. In fact, he won a Polk award because of them. I don't buy the argument that bloggers don't have ethics. I'm not a huge fan of Bill Simmons, and I have stated my reasons for that in the past, but I believe he has ethics. I think Wonkette has ethics. I think Will Leitch has ethics. So let's not throw out a silly blanket statement like that.

As for the pompous argument that people actually care about what they read here at SportsJournalists.com, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to get beyond that. "Major impact" is a fluid term anyway. Sportswriters and media people in general love to read and write about themselves. And ethical debates can have a lot more value than discussions about what our favorite television show is, or "should I cut this absess off my toe?" I promise you that there are people who have read these threads about TBL on SportsJournalists.com and view him differently as a result. And that, to me, has value, whether your believe people are reading our site or not.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I didn't call him a date-rapist. If you think I did, you might wish to brush up on your reading comprehension.

EDIT: In fact, if you knew the background of his Leinart "story," you'd realize it was intended satire, poor taste or not.

4. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I'd like to amend my stance to: After people are done being jealous, this will blow over in a month. Maybe less as this personally affects about 1 out of every 1000 here at best.

5. Man, I'm getting tired of the jealousy argument.

If someone criticizes a columnist, it's because of jealousy.

If someone criticizes TBL, it's because of jealousy.

Is it possible for someone to be criticized without jealousy being a factor?

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Sure it's possible. Try criticizing without posting the 500th Fozzie Bear picture and/or floating, or agreeing with, the idea he looks like a rapist. When people float criticisms around here that are primarily about the work, and don't include personal shots, I don't think you see too many accusations of jealousy/bitterness.

You might be surprised at the outcome.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And reading comprehension continues to elude you. I'm done.

I said what needed to be said, and apologized to him for crossing the line. But I'm certainly not apologizing to you.

8. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Not in this business. ;D

9. I believe I did that on the first page.

10. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

And if that's how the conversation went on the first thread, I think there's a pretty good chance it would have never been locked, and maybe it wouldn't have felt so ... well ... jealous and bitter.

As for you, Doc, please. You're embarrassing yourself with the word parsing. Again, try that defense with someone face-to-face after you say they look like a date rapist. If you're going to have the big ol' Internet balls to throw the term around, at least own up to the meaning behind it, instead of trying to win back an inch or two of class with the word parsing.

And I never asked for an apology from you, dude.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I beg to differ. SI has had that idiotic "The Beat" column since at least 2000. It's not a niche that needed filling.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Perhaps Double Down and BYH can explain it to you. And you just parsed the words for me, even if you don't get the point I was trying to make, so thanks for backing me up.

Draft saved Draft deleted