1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Lead Reveal, Take 2

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Frankly, this is something worth discussing here, whether people want to post pictures of Fozzie Bear or not. We've wasted plenty of cyber-ink discussing TBL's ethics, I think we can discuss his decision to reveal himself to SI's Richard Deitsch. One of my big problems with the site has been the lack of accountability, and at least on some level, this addresses that. So let's try to have a relatively (by SportsJournalists.com standards) mature discussion. I tip my cap to Deitsch for, in his own tiny way, attempting to clean up the Wild Wild West of the the internet by coaxing TBL to come out from behind the curtain, especially because I think it will limit items like the Leinart thing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/richard_deitsch/03/12/lead.deitsch/index.html

So, will you take the blog seriously now? Will you give Jason an interview?

And just to address it, especially to spnited and Jersey Guy, it matters not whether you know and like Jason. Not one bit. It was never about jealousy for the majority of us, certainly not me, and frankly I think you should know better than to throw out that weak excuse simply because TBL happened to intern with a publication that was a part of your universe, either as an editor, writer or reader. It was about standards.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks for starting this, DD. This has been bugging me all morning.

I'll say this and then I'll disappear from the topic.

It disgusts me when people who should know better chalk whathisface up as just a kid who has made some mistakes. He's not a kid. He's not some 19-year-old wading into the deep waters who realizes he's in over his head and then retreats, absorbs the lessons he's learned and comes out of it with a better apprecation for journalism.

He's 31 years old (not a 20-something, as the blog bio states, I swear, this shit just writes itself) and he's clearly been in the biz a long time. He's certainly been around long enough to know what's right and what's wrong, even in the fuzzy area of celebrity coverage. And that's what he and that site are all about. It's not about the media, it's not about breaking sports stories. it's about starfucking. which would be fine if his ethics went beyond throwing shit at the wall, seeing what sticks and shrugging off whatever does not stick as oh well, shit happens, the LA Times fucked up too.

It's disgusting. Not as disgusting as Jersey Guy and Moddy sticking up for him, though I'm not surprised, or as disgusting as figuring all of us who think the guy is a joke are just jealous of him. I'd rather be broke and unemployed than The Big Lead. Perhaps soon I will be.

This isn't about being afraid to stand up and taking chances. I'm insulted it's been couched as such. It's about doing what's right and not being a fucking embarrasment to the fucking profession.

Maybe that's not the answer Jersey Guy was looking for, but I'm sure I'll get by without his approval.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nobody is sticking up for anybody, dude. Don't go down that path again. The fact that this guy brings this kind of shit out of you says more about you than it does him.
    Now keep this on the path DD wanted or it goes. You see that as me "sticking up for him," I'm sure I'll get by without your approval.

ps - what some people do and say on here is every bit as embarrassing to the profession.

4. The fact that he has a background in journalism makes me think less of him than I did before.

I was willing to accept his lack of ethics was because he didn't know any better.

Turns out he does.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree with DDown, it's a real deal, we should talk about it. And while I understand completely why the earlier thread was bagged, there is much truth in BYH's post about what tbl is and is not.

To answer DDown's question: tbl's content isn't irresponsible because it was anonymous, it's irresponsible because its owner is clueless. I wouldn't expect that to change. You have to understand ethics and common sense to exhibit either or both.

I think, like this place, you have to take it for what it's worth. To me, it's hilarious every time someone shrieks, 'HE GOT REILLY!!' or whomever....as if Reilly (or whomever) is Bono or something. It's just silly.

This is a guy with a website. There are lots of guys with websites. Doesn't make him smart or accurate or famous. It just makes him a guy with a website.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

He really did not have a choice... Hopefully, he will clean up his act.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So he's not a muppet?

Putting your name to your stuff definitely adds a layer of accountability. So I'll give him credit for that and maybe look at his site a little differently. Although he already lost me a long time ago with his cavalier attitude on here, so I am not sure...

His credibility ultimately rests on the quality of what he puts on the site. And the quality of info has sometimes been lacking. I wouldn't even be all over him for that -- mainstream news sources screw up, make mistakes in judgment, etc. -- but some of his explanations on here, when he was called on it, have been troubling. The "I am just linking to someone else's bullshit, so I am not responsible," stuff turned me off to his site permanently. It's an attitude that is so irresponsible and if he continues on that path, I will feel no sympathy when he finds himself pouring money into lawyers to defend him in a libel suit.

Maybe it was because he was being piled on, on here, and he didn't think through his response well. At least that's what I am hoping for. Sometimes this site degrades to a gang mentality and when you are being piled on, maybe you don't respond well. Either way, I'm not sure why his site has any popularity in the first place. The most interesting things are the interviews with writers and I don't find that particularly interesting, unless it is a trainwreck, like the interview with Whitlock in which he burned bridges. But I viewed that as an anomaly. What else does the site really offer, other than lots of gossip, most of it uninteresting and at least some of it of dubious truthfulness?

Not trying to be mean. Just that I don't get the appeal. Can anyone who reads it explain?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't deny the validity of points made in any way. They can be made without the constant cheap shots at me, at Jersey Guy, at anybody. That's what pisses me off to no end. The cheap shots at others, some who may disagree, some who may not.
    I've never said anything in support of TBL, the Web site. Never read it, come to think of it. That didn't matter. JG and I pointed out that people were making asses of themselves, which they were. I did not "stick up for" TBL but BYH has a bit of a boner about that particular topic and it makes an otherwise sane and OK guy go haywire.

I told DD that I have such respect for him that I'm willing to give this one a shot. Argue the point. Don't take cheap shots.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I would never consider a site like TBL "journalism," but it definitely has its place. Just like pamphleteers had their place 200 years ago.

For TBL to consider himself a journalist with that blog is ridiculous.
    For TBL to consider himself a valued member of the internet community is spot-on.

10. Metin Eniste

Metin Eniste Member

Mr. Scott Newman approves of TBL disclosing his real name.

11. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I just clicked on his blog for the first time. I don't see the big deal. Mildly amusing. Can't he just attach a "Rumors" tag to his posts and take care of most of the problems. Kind of like TMZ.com?

Is he journalist? No. So what?

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

To keep my stomach acid in check, let's not overdo the "pamphleteer" trope. Many of the folks publishing anonymously prior to the Revolutionary War were doing so to avoid a death sentence from George III on a charge of treason. Hardly the case here, unless Matt Leinart or the AP Photo Department have judiciary powers under the Sedition Act of which I'm unaware.

In fact, why be anonymous at all in this circumstance?

Draft saved Draft deleted