1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Lead posts false story about Billy Donovan's real estate struggles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daemon, Feb 16, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's out of the business because it's dying, BLOGS!!!! are the future and real estate is an investment on which you can never go wrong.

Fucking fraud.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This exceeds TBL's usual issues with unprofessional hackistry. Passing something meant as obvious satire off as if it's factual is comedically stupid. God forbid that dipshit ever check up on anything.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Like I said before, I don't care if TBL wants to write false, libelous shit and be lazy. That's hardly my concern at all. He can do it all he wants, and I don't give a crap. I'm not saying that TBL needs to live up the standards of a newspaper, or that newspapers are infallible and TBL is a joke.

I just think sportswriters who agree to the ass-kissing interviews on that site need to be aware of who they're getting in bed with. You can enjoy the site, you can go there and not take it seriously, you can enjoy the pictures of hot chicks and the inane movie reviews and bad financial advice. That's your business.

But don't give the site credibility by doing interviews. Because if you do, you're endorsing that kind of BS. It's not jealousy. I'm cool with TBL making money off his nonsense. I think it's sad that the blog gets name-checked by SI on occasion, but whatever. Doesn't break my heart. Just doesn't make sense why people would chose to further erode our credibility for little more than an industry ego stroke. It's either that, or they're just not aware of the Leinart stuff, the Reilly stuff, the FSU stuff, and now the fake Billy Donovan stuff. I hope it's the later and not the former. If we stop answering emails and doing those interviews, he either raises his standards a bit, or he ceases to be blog with any connection to sports writing. I don't ask the guys at Kissing Suzy Kolber to stop swearing or be more mature or stop telling Bill Simmons to fuck off and die. Because no one thinks that's anything other than a humor site. With TBL, it's different.

I wish Deadspin would go back to doing the "Authors With Pure Hearts" interviews, or that Sports Media Guide's interviews were a little more in-depth, and occasionally hard-hitting. But right now, everyone seems to think the place to know "who's who!" in our industry is TBL. And that's silly.

4. And sad.

It should be noted, yet again, that when TBL named the Florida State players, he said he'd apologize if any of them were incorrect.

Still waiting!

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Chris: If you don't understand the difference between making a mistake and not giving a shit whether you make a mistake, I'm really glad you don't work with me. We would not get along.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

One thing TBL has taught us: it's a lot cheaper to link to other people's mistakes than to make your own.

Draft saved Draft deleted