1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Lead interviews Al Michaels

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Buck also sounds scripted, even when it's (conceivably) not. Sunday's game was great, and Michaels did a good job not getting in its way.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Esiason got fired almost 10 years ago.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

An Al Michaels interview isn't complete without talking gambling or the stock market, and I love him for that. He's great on Sunday nights because at some point he's going to make a not-so-veiled reference to the spread (one time he said in a fourth quarter of a high-scoring blowout "this game is over, but for some it's long been over"). And he was beyond giddy at the start of the Super Bowl when telling how the NFC had won 12 coin tosses in a row, an unbelievable fact that a gambler would appreciate.

And even with the opportunity to throw some peers under the bus, he declined. Hi Gregg.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Better watch yourself, playthrough. Gregg just wrote your name down on a list and tucked it into his beanie.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . references which Madden always, always lets go right on by . . .

Akin to the Paterno/Bowden Win Derby, Michaels and Musberger have been participating
    in the Mainstream Announcer Gambling-Reference Derby, for years and years . . .

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

You are wrong.

If you think that's the only time he went over the line, or posted diarrhea of the fingertips, then all that time you spent with a bottle of Jergens while surfing www.teacherswhomolestkids.gov has killed your memory. Along those lines, I'll just assume you're being ironic by mocking the rest of us for spending an inordinate amount of time posting on one particular topic. And I'm not doing all that hot career-wise, but take what I did and what I'm doing, or lack thereof, over what that guy is doing.

There are some fine people here who like the guy, so anything else I say can only re-start board wars. So I'll just say I'm thrilled shitless that he's not posting here anymore (that I know of, anyway) and that IJAG said it better than I could about the guy somehow finding a job where he's allowed to run amuck with no checks or balances.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I just hope he's got plenty of Fruit Roll-Ups to tide him over for the end times.

Seriously though, nothing wrong with the interview at all.

8. ned racine

ned racine Member

can someone tell Joe Buck that its ok to get excited once in a while...say what you want about Brent and Michaels..at least you know you are watching a big game...Bucks enthusiasm level in both baseball and football are enough to bring back his dad from the grave...can you imagine how Joe would have called Gibsons 88 home run....deep to right..dodgers win game 1..see you tomorrow night........he would have never said what his dad said"i cant believe what i just saw"..that was real emotion..Joe Buck is the one who is flatlined

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

If references like those were the sun, and if Madden were a rooster, farmers would sleep until noon every day.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Michaels loves the horses, as well. He's equal-opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted