1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Lead Gets the Last Laugh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 1, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These are the success stories I love. A guy starts a site, spends years perfecting it for likely very little, if any, money. Gradually builds notoriety and then cashes in at the end.

That's the way it should work.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I never really got into the vitriol tossed the guy's way, and if nothing else, he was never mean-spirited, and took a whole lot more crap here than he gave.

And if any of the above is incorrect, don't bother to tell me, I don't really care about the history.

I am happy for the guy. 7 figures? Fantastic. I salute you with a fistfull of fruit rollups.

In honor of the occasion:

BLOGS!!!

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Perfecting" the cutting and pasting of cheesecake photos from other - almost never credited - sources must have been exhausting. Typing links to other sites? That's right out of Horatio Alger.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

PFT?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Props for the correct usage of the oft-misused word "notoriety."

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nice, Ace. And what does PFT mean?

7. Related tweet

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

TBL and Bill Simmons are similar in my eyes, two guys who built their own brand, worked it, and eventually got paid. I'm not a fan of either, but respect how they got to the pot of gold in the end.

9. "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The taste of the American public has always been in the shitcan. It just gets fed in different ways. Our parents used to find it staring back at them from the supermarket checkout line. People have always dug the dirt.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Same. Don't begrudge him at all.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I think we both agree that having the power of the NFL and the NFLPA makes it much easier to build connections and successful programs. Not slamming these guys at all, just that this venture doesn't have the NFL muscle behind it. Changes the game. Investors are going to want to see a return.

How successful has their venture been so far? I ask because I honestly have no idea. Do they have the capital to do other deals like this? Spend several millions for one site?

I wonder if Big Lead's compensation is tied to anything like hits over a period of time, or if he got everything up front and can walk away with the cash.

The guy found a niche and worked it. I'd just love to know the details of this deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted