1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Lead Gets the Last Laugh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 1, 2010.

1. OK - haters have at it. The Big Lead was just sold for "low seven figures".

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/sports/02sportsblog.html?ref=sports

Jason McIntyre must be laughing all the way to the bank.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Didn't need more proof there was no god, guess we got it anyway.

Congrats to him, I guess. Not much of a journalistic morality tale, that's for sure.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Good for him.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does Fozzie get a cut of that?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Will he use that low seven figures to kill newspapers or go to strip joints?

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Good for him.

I have no problem with anyone getting paid. Wonder if he'll continue to run it.

7. dooley_womack1

Ah, the old axiom that money makes right. The hell it does.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Dooley,

Never did I say money makes right. I feel that Jason -- just like any athlete -- is worth whatever someone decides to pay them. If someone decides to pay him seven figures, then I have no jealousies and hope he uses it wisely.

9. dooley_womack1

Jealousies, no. Sadness as to what is apparently valued, yes

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He's a blogger. He's not selling crack to kids.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is there going to be any way to independently verify this sale price? Are we talking about a public company and a corporate filing? It has happened before on the new frontier, and neither side would be above throwing a wild number out there for publicity purposes.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm very happy for Jason, who, from the time I first met him, has had the wacky idea that sports/celebrity/gossip was the wave of the future and was his path to success and riches.
    He's a smart guy, he could have gone as far as he wanted to in the sportswriting business because he is a very talented writer when he is focused on writing.
    I was his supervisor/editor for a few years and he drove me crazy at times. But my SE and I used to talk about how good he could be if we ever found a way to rein him in. But Jason had other ideas, usually marched to his own drummer and kept talking about making his mark in the way the Big Lead has.
    In an odd way, I'm really proud of him. He did what he set out to do by working at it and sticking with it ... even if we more conventional old-school types (hi, dooley!) didn't always agree with his methods.

All I honestly can say is congratulations, JMac.

Draft saved Draft deleted