1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Lead gets Buzzed -- now updated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, May 5, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Re: The Big Lead gets Buzzed

Illuminates how truly out of touch he is.

2. Re: The Big Lead gets Buzzed

Except Heinz, as he would readily have admitted, as long as Poz is speaking for him, wouldn't have had the great editors he had at those magazines to shape his stuff.

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

I love to write, I want to be heard, I have something to say.

And that's why I don't write a blog, because due to the nature of the medium few bloggers put as much work into the craft of writing as they would, or would be forced to in paper and ink work that appears in things like, you know, BOOKS... because there's so much blog chatter it is far too easy to get lost in all the static and no one hears you at all (there is a certain author of a best selling sports title who has a blog that he's been writing for a few years that gets like, five comments a week)... and because the things I have to say can't be said incrementally, in a series of blog posts that read like sound bites that require the reader to come back day after day after day to get it.

And oh yeah, because I write for living, not just to fill up space. I don't need a hundred guys killing time at work leaving comments about something I wrote to prove my self worth. A handful of writers in our genre earn a living from their blog, or even have one without a print presence. Bad as things are, thousands earn money in print.

This isn't an either/or argument. Print is one thing, blogs are another, neither precludes the other, they're similar on one level - it is the same alphabet - but radio is not tv either even though they both broadcast through the air.

I like and respect Posnanski, but to say that if you love writing you should be blogging is just plain stupid.

Stupid.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If you love writing, a blog makes sense.

If you really want to be read, good luck becoming one of the ones people read and care about.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My paper makes me blog. Yet, they don't really tell us what they want. As a newspaper reporter, I'm used to being impartial. I'm not ready to start blogging off the cuff like that. So I put in tidbits from practice or interviews I don't use or whatever...and I get a stalker this weekend who sends me three different e-mails from three different addresses, but all with the same first name. They told me I was so boring they wanted to puke, or whatever else.

What the hell am I supposed to do?

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'd suggest reading Poz's follow up post as well. Good, solid reasoning (to me at least).

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/05/02/a-few-weekend-thoughts/

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I love that he has a facebook. And I was one of the 549 that added him as a friend :D

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The blog format suits me more because it is off the cuff, but I understand the conflict beat writers have as far as objectivity/subjectivity issues.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If I could seriously write what I think, I'd love it. I'm all about off the cuff.

But methinks (hi 21!) my higherups wouldn't be so crazy about that. So I'm trying to walk the line and it's neither entertaining nor entirely newsy. So it's a failure all around.

But no one cares enough to help me, even when I ask.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't help it. You sucked and it made me mad.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But guess what: If Heinz was young today, if he was 25 years old in 2008, or 30 years old, you know what he would be doing? Yeah. He would be WRITING A FREAKING BLOG. Of course he would. If you love to write, if you want to be heard, if you feel like you have something to say, this is what you do.

I have a lot of respect for Joe Posnanski, but this is wrong in about 11 different ways. If Joe Po ever surfs through here, he can PM me and I'll elaborate.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd give you a hug if i could.

Draft saved Draft deleted