1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The big day is here, at last

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Orange Hat Bobcat, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Some folks will wonder why. Others will wish me the best and pass along kind words. And still more might just not care. One event, so many reactions, so much emotion.

I'm getting married today, in a little more than four hours, in a big, modern church that will be filled with family and friends. There is no rain in the forecast and I have no plans to snoop around to see my bride until she walks down the aisle with her father. Our mothers will cry. Our fathers might, too. My cousin, married almost seven years now, will be next to me the whole time. And I cannot wait.

I'm not nervous, I don't think, not scared. Just excited and in some sense of disbelief that this day is here. I proposed almost a year and a half ago (after reading a thread on this board about proposals) and have been involved, in some sense or another, in the planning since then (all the while searching for threads about the marriage of sports writers and marriage). Everything has been a blur. I exchanged messages about marriage with a couple of board members, received some good advice, and I thank all those folks now. I'm sure a couple other folks might be at some point along this road now, too, and I wish you all the best. Maybe we can compare notes later.

And, with only a little time at my disposal before I have to hop in the shower, then a tux, then a limo, then wait for 90 agonizing minutes, I want to thank other people on this board. I landed my first job out of college, in part, thanks to this place. Received an offer for a second job only because I managed to see it here and applied. I have learned a couple of things here, continued to read and remain informed about the sad state of our industry here, met (in a virtual world and, for a weekend, in Toronto) some of the coolest people I know here.

I haven't posted as often as I used to. The bride, Ms. Bobcat (soon to be Mrs. Bobcat), has had a lot to do with that. Been reading more, too, and running almost as often as I did during high school. But I always enjoy my time here.

So thank you, SJ.

OHB

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good luck and get the hell offline and get ready.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Best of luck to you, OHB. Enjoy the day. You've been waiting for it for a long time. Make it last.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Congrats, Orange. Where's the honeymoon?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Though I don't know you, I wish you and your wife-to-be all the best.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Mazel tov, bobchik. May it last a hundred years.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Is it an open bar?

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

As someone who knows the future Mr. and Mrs. OHB, I can say that these two were built for each other. They are both whip-smart, and Midwestern kind. He is curious, and she is patient. They make each other, and whoever is around them, laugh, and they are both so giving of each other's dreams and wants, from the big stuff to the day-to-day whims. Their relationship has obviously been made stronger by the challenges they have faced, the ones so many of us do when we embark on this career. They will, no doubt, survive it all and one day be the sweet old couple down the street, the ones all other couples judge their relationship against. Perhaps because, in a lot of ways, they already are.

I am not Jewish, but I have always liked this phrase — Mazel Tov. It seems appropriate.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hell with that... we want PXP!

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Congrats and good luck, dude.

By the way: I can't wait until Mr. Weaver gets married. We'll get the play-by-play from the alter.

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

it's four hours before your wedding and you're posting on a sports journalism message board

ok

i eagerly await an update after the vows

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Am I going to your wedding? I am going to a wedding in three hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted