1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best TV show where the characters were, at one point, in high school?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Feb 24, 2011.

?

What the the best TV show ever set in high school?

1. 90210

10.7%
  2. The O.C.

2.7%
  3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

12.0%
  4. Veronica Mars

9.3%
  5. My So Called Life

8.0%
  6. Friday Night Lights

24.0%
  7. Dawson's Creek

1.3%
  8. Freaks and Geeks

17.3%
  9. Glee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Saved By The Bell

14.7%
  11. The Wonder Years

28.0%
  12. The White Shadow

12.0%
  13. Gilmore Girls

5.3%
  14. Happy Days

4.0%
  15. Welcome Back Kotter

8.0%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I never watched the show, but I heard it got a lot better after the first season or the first couple episodes. Something like that.

2. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I felt the exact same way about Kevin and Winnie not ending up together. Love that they had the guts to end the series like that.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Life Goes On is also worth mentioning. Good, solid show. And it tackled high school-related issues in a unique way.

That was the first one I watched since the second season.

I was thrilled they didn't end up together. She was annoying, pouty, led him on, and was completely unattractive.

Yeah, I said it.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A show missing from the Wikipedia list Bubbler posted that will go down as one of the worst shows of all-time to be set in a high school -- The Fresh Beat Band (it's on Nick Jr) http://www.nickjr.com/the-fresh-beat-band/

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I answered before reading the first post, voted for Buffy & Freaks & Geeks easy, and as it registered, I noticed that FNL was on the list, having second thoughts. DD - you have good taste in TV.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Growing up in the 90s, I thought Wonder Years was actually a real person's life story. The way it was directed with all the 60's flare, the voice narration, it was almost too real to understand as a six-year-old.

Decades later, I still remember most episodes and all the characters — especially that one episode when Kevin goes on the field trip to the planetary.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed on most points, Happy Days and Smallville in particular.

Smallville wasn't really a high school show and it turned to shit for a while before they finally decided to let the characters start being grown-ups.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Piotr is the slayer of teenage masturbation fodder.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

That made me irrationally angry. For some reason, I never saw the finale until a few years ago, when I saw it in syndication. Kevin and Winnie belonged together and then he goes to the airport to pick her up...with his WIFE?! WHAT?!

I voted for SBTB because a lot of the show centered around being in high school, the original cast only did four seasons (and I refuse to acknowledge any of the spin-offs) and when I was watching it after school as a fifth grader, it made me actually want to be in high school. (And then I got to high school and realized the whole show was a gross misrepresentation of the hell that high school was.) But the show is still rewatchable.

I also voted for Gilmore Girls, because Paris Gellar and I probably share a soul. I was ecstatic when Rory and Paris ended up at Yale together because no Paris would have been an incredibly dull show indeed, even with Lauren Graham.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Paris was on Private Practice tonight, bucking for a guest Emmy (her husband is one of the show's regulars).

My wife reminded me - with great amusement - about how I used to say that if I was in school with the characters from Gilmore Girls, I totally would have been devoted to Paris. Hey, she was funny and cool. And I am superior to that Doyle guy.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I understand some of the hatred for Happy Days. I mean, for crying out loud, the phrase describing a show dying was named or it. But I think people really forget how truly good the first two seasons were.

I voted The Wonder Years and Happy Days. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, The Wonder Years is now running on The Hub. So is Happy Days. When the network started, the first season of Happy Days and the first season of The Wonder Years were running at the same time, an hour apart.

A couple of this changed on Happy Days after the second season (I believe). One is that they went from shooting scenes with one camera in a studio to three-camera sets in front of a live studio audience. That changed the feel and look of the show. The other big change is that by the third season they made the mistake of centering the show more on the over-written Fonzie rather than Richie and the Cunningham clan. Fonzie the outlaw was a lot more believeable than the cartoon character he became. Also didn't like the idea of changing the opening credits song from Rock Around the Clock to the Happy Days song.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Matt Saracen's character is what sets FNL apart from the crowd. He wasn't "cool", his parents bailed on him, he lost his starting gig and he always seemed a bit lost.

Draft saved Draft deleted