1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best tournament I have ever seen.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bjot, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You kids. Better memories than my old ass. I think you are correct.
    Refresh me on the rest of that worst list. Some, like Boeheim, are still coaching.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

And Boeheim has done a great coaching job this season.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

By far this has been the best tournament I have witnessed. And this from a guy who has seen his team play in three national championships, and his alma mater play in two.

I've also seen two Final Fours, and a Sweet 16 where Davidson beat Wisconsin and nearly took down Kansas.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It was a great first and second round. But there could still be a Final Four with three No. 1 seeds and a No. 2, and that wouldn't be appointment TV to me. Need Northern Iowa, Cornell, Butler, someone besides the blue bloods to win two more games.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Had some problems last night, at least from my house. A couple switching problems where they went to the wrong game--the most egregious being when Xavier/Pitt and Texas A&M/Purdue were both coming down the stretch with probably less than a minute to go---and they switched to the Duke game showing postgame highlights for a good 10 seconds or so until they got it fixed.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I think the best final four would be Syracuse/Kansas State from that bracket, Ohio State/Northern Iowa from that bracket, Cornell/Kentucky from that bracket and St. Mary's/Baylor from that bracket. I want to see the best games in the final four, where a team is from be damned, and I think those teams would allow for the best Saturday/Monday to close the season.

I am perfectly happy with the chaos that's ensued, just as long as it still lends itself to good final four matchups.

It was great and all that George Mason made its run, but their game against Florida was pretty blah.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I loved watching UNLV simply run away from Duke in 1991 (and the Loyola Marymount run) and then seeing the Dukies do the unthinkable in 1992 were two memorable tourneys.

The Fab Five runs were also thrilling even if they came up short, I wonder even in the new rules era whether we will ever see 5 freshman/sophomores get to two straight championship games.

This year's run has been great because those St. Mary's Gaels? They eat at the same Noah's Bagels as I do! Beautiful campus as well; great scene for home games (most thrilling win I've seen was last year's NIT matchup with Stephen Curry and Davidson, that was fun.)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was on press row for that one and you're right. But the buildup and anticipation was so much more fun than a week of previewing Power Conference X vs. Florida would have been. George Mason running out of gas was somewhat predictable, but it was still great.

I just don't get excited about the power conference teams playing each other, especially in a year like this when there really isn't that much power anyway. Really hope one of the so-called lesser teams squeezes through, even if they lay an egg in Indianapolis.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I completely disagree - don't tell me the build-up for Florida versus UConn with all those first round picks - which is who it would have been -- wouldn't have been great.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Count me in as one of the people who could care less about the Final Four if it involves all power teams. Northern Iowa - Kansas would not have been as fun, if it were Texas winning by a few points.

The smaller teams add an extra dimension to the game. It gives casual fans like myself a rooting interest.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Many people, myself included hate the NBA.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've watched the tournament for 30 years, and the bluebloods get more and more boring for me every year. I've gone from mailing away to the lottery every year for Final Four tickets to skipping the final four on tv now most years. I can't get excited about watching Michigan State - maybe it means I don't love college basketball.

I can get excited about watching Northern Iowa beating Kansas. I can get excited about St. Mary's beating Villanova... Maybe its a morality play (good vs. evil) even if its only in my mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted