1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best tournament I have ever seen.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bjot, Mar 21, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, obviously you're a glutton for punishment already.

But you might have won him over with the "young man." :D

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

AQB: St. John's beat Rutgers in the rgeional semis before losing to Penn in East final. Johnnies had beaten Duke the week before on the same day Carolina lost -- Black Sunday on Tobacco Road -- leaving the old Greensboro Colisuem half empty for the regionals that did not have an ACC darling.
    St. John's. Rutgers, Syracuse, Penn would have packed the Garden.

Also, Notre Dame went to the Final Four in '78 (in St. Louis) when Tripucka, Woolridge et al were freshmen. Kelly told me years later he expected to go to Final Four every year but they never got better after his freshman year becuase Digger stopped coaching and became a celebrity.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ha, ha! Eat it Digger!

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

ESPN had the first two days of the tournament until sometime in the early 90s.

They did the whiparound much, much better than CBS can ever hope to do it.

Of course given that CBS is paying like eleventy kajillion dollars to the NCAA the priority is getting all the commercials in, not providing whiparound coverage.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It was a good tournament.

Too bad that it had to end.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I watched a portion of that game on TV in the press room at the Carrier Dome, which was host to first- and second-round games the next day. It was interesting to note that most of the people in that room were rooting AGAINST the Orange(men).
    And, the next day, duly inspired No. 13 Penn State whupped No. 4 UCLA. I didn't care so much about that result, except that on the Saturday I was planning to drive to Cooperstown. Instead, I was flying home.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

CBS has done a fantastic job of switching games this year.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I watched a portion of that game on TV in the press room at the Carrier Dome, which was host to first- and second-round games the next day. It was interesting to note that most of the people in that room were rooting AGAINST the Orange(men).
    And, the next day, duly inspired No. 13 Penn State whupped No. 4 UCLA. I didn't care so much about that result, except that on the Saturday I was planning to drive to Cooperstown. Instead, I was flying home.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Much better than in the past. Seemed to be everywhere they had to be Thursday and Friday, especially

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK FJ, skip this story:

The great thing about the 1991 matchup between No. 15 Richmond and No. 2 Syracuse is the National was alive and well. John Feinstein did a great piece, ranking the top bench coaches in the tournament AND the worst bench coaches.

Now memory fades a bit. I can't remember if Dick Tarrant was No. 2 on the best list and Jim Boeheim was No. 1 on the worst list. I think that's right. Tarrant may have been No. 1 (he was awfully damn good, really damn good) and Boeheim No. 2. Either way, they were leaders in their respective classes.

Boeheim got into it pretty good with Feinstein. I wasn't close enough to hear but neither side was happy. Boeheim made his points. Feinstein made his.

Of course, the game came and Tarrant fucked with Syracuse very severely. Kind of made Feinstein's point for him. That wasn't one of UR's more talented teams (though it was good).

I knew nothing of Boeheim's bench ability at the time, only knew he had a rep as a whiner. I've been told he's improved greatly on both counts over the years - less whining and better coaching. I can't vouch for either one. Perhaps someone closer to the program - not you, FJ, because you aren't reading this - can enlighten us.

I just know that was one classic night. Game ended pretty late. I was still working for a PM at the time so I was up until 5 a.m. writing my stuff.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And through it all, Victory Gallop never said hello. The nerve. If I wasn't pissed then, I damn sure am now.

12. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

I was 15 at the time, but I remember Tarrant as No. 2 (and I think Knight was No. 1) while Boeheim topped the worst category.

Draft saved Draft deleted